International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I thought of you starting over all those times.

I just needed to stand back and fix my head.

There is no white at all so far in these guys. They are not agressive and they each have something I need.

The pullets I know what their faults and strong points will be. I know them 4 generations back.

I am happy.
good to hear that you are happy ,we have to stay positive in this life .lot bad stuff get thrown at as but we have to keep our heads high and keep moving .
love your courage and determination .
chooks man

put a skirt ( wire at the bottom about one foot on the top of the ground) around your outer fence . that what I have done inside so my dog could no dig and go wender around ,and outside side for any other animal can not dig and go in . I have 2 feets wide chooks wire small gage all around my outer fence 400 meters .
chooks man
That is what the coops have. They are very safe.
I am looking at different ways to reinforce the outer fence. I may have enough to do this.

Around here we go by the adage of SSS, shoot, shovel, and shush, it solves many a predator problem and prevents problems with neighbors.

a friend of mine has had many problems with dogs since 2012 when she started a farm. a couple of weeks ago another (neighbor's) dog got into her farm and killed all but 3 hens in her light sussex pen. this time she called her husband who luckily was in the area and within 10 minutes he was there with a gun. they buried him on their property where no one will find him. I like how you call it: SSS.

a friend of mine has had many problems with dogs since 2012 when she started a farm. a couple of weeks ago another (neighbor's) dog got into her farm and killed all but 3 hens in her light sussex pen. this time she called her husband who luckily was in the area and within 10 minutes he was there with a gun. they buried him on their property where no one will find him. I like how you call it: SSS.
Sad the owner did not care enough about his dog to keep him at home.

The farmer did what they had to do to protect her animals. I would do the same.

I've spent the last few days using any fencing I can find to attach on the bottom to lay on the ground to prevent dogs digging under. It goes half way up the original fence.

I'm angry.
Why do I have to do this to my property when we are not the problem. It looks awful. The chicken village outer fence is reinforced though.

I've spent the last few days using any fencing I can find to attach on the bottom to lay on the ground to prevent dogs digging under. It goes half way up the original fence.

I'm angry.
Why do I have to do this to my property when we are not the problem. It looks awful. The chicken village outer fence is reinforced though.
It's the same reason you install locks on doors and windows or you lock your car and own guns...
Your on/in your own property living your life and should be safe/free/comfortable but you can't and your not. We as a society have to live in fear of someone wanting what's ours at any cost... including one's life.
So we have to protect what's ours/ourselves the best we can against those forces.... And thus SSS applies here.
😃

Random alert here. Could this be a Splash Copper? Or a Blue Silver Wheaten Marans? This Fall, I grabbed 2 random marans out of a pullet bin that looked like it was full of blue coppers. One was white - assumed Wheaten - and the other the darkest. Thought the darkest one might be black copper but it is definitely a dark blue smoke as it develops. Most in the bin were colored in between these -light gray. I am familiar with blue splash because I raised 2 from Meyer. It's not blue splash. The shoulder feathers had no obvious dark vs brown at 2 weeks like my wheatens did. She does have a few flecks of wheaten looking feathers. A couple in neck. Not stains. Here is the mystery marans chick at 5 weeks:

Attachments

• IMG_1333.jpg
    IMG_1333.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1327.jpg
    IMG_1327.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1336.jpg
    IMG_1336.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Random alert here. What is a Blue Silver Wheaten Marans? This Fall, I grabbed 2 random marans out of a pullet bin that looked like it was full of blue coppers. One was white - assumed Wheaten - and the other the darkest. Thought it might be black copper but it is definitely a dark blue smoke as it develops. Most in the bin were colored in between these. I am familiar with blue splash because I raised 2 from Meyer. Could this juvenile be a blue/silver wheaten? The shoulder feathers had no obvious dark vs brown at 2 weeks like my others did. Here is the mystery marans chick at 5 weeks:
Oh - this is it's brood mate. Blue copper I presume. I have no idea if they are siblings. There were literally only 2 white ones. I chose the one with feathered legs.

Attachments

• IMG_1340.jpg
    IMG_1340.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 6
It's the same reason you install locks on doors and windows or you lock your car and own guns...
Your on/in your own property living your life and should be safe/free/comfortable but you can't and your not. We as a society have to live in fear of someone wanting what's ours at any cost... including one's life.
So we have to protect what's ours/ourselves the best we can against those forces.... And thus SSS applies here.
😃
Good point. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom