International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I’m about 20 miles south of Fort Wayne just outside of Bluffton Indiana. I honestly don’t know how Marans lay in winter, I’m still very new to all of this. I do know that my olive Eggers have slowed down production drastically in the past few weeks, but the Wyandottes are still going strong. I assumed that since the olive Eggers are 1/2 cuckoo Marans that it was the Marans genetics causing the slow down. I could certainly be wrong. The more I try to google anything the more contradictory opinions I find.
I'm from Middletown... right off I-69 near Anderson. Yeah - opinions vary greatly. I'm new also. :)

peoples use all sort of terminology .confusing
chooks man
I found what their 'blue silver wheaten marans' look like:

No photo description available.

videos:

These chicks are about two and a half weeks old now. 3 of them have prominent combs that look like young roosters to meView attachment 3674657View attachment 3674658
I had my suspicions on male vs female by the time mine were 3 weeks old. I didn’t have any surprises later. The ones you think are cockerels probably are. Please keep us updated. There are a lot of experienced breeders that post in this thread often. I’m still new myself but everyone here has been very welcoming.

Where in Indiana are you? I'm from there originally. I really enjoy being in North GA... Mine may lay in Jan or Feb with the warmer days. I have never used light but I put the clear roofing on my coops and windows facing the sunrise. Aren't Marans good about winter laying or no? My Speckled Sussex do pretty well.
My Marans haven't layed for 3 weeks or so. I probably won't get eggs again until about march. I am in Washington state about the middle of the state. Seattle is a lot warmer and more rain. Our side of the cascade mountains is much colder so we get snow. Seattle rarely gets snow.

I have you covered! I will complain enough for the both of us! :rant:duc Lol I do not like winter at all! We have not had 4 degrees yet but we have been in the teens already. I do not like cold, snow, ice, or being stuck in the house for months. I do not like breaking ice everyday to give them fresh water. I do not like frostbite on their combs. Did I do a good job for the both of us? Lol On a good note at least we haven't had snow yet. I still need to clean out a couple of the houses before the ground is completely frozen.
You did great... 😉
I agree with all of that.... But I've been told on more than one occasion that "I would bit** if I was hung with a new rope."

Back
Top Bottom