International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I think giving a name to what is just a mix implies they are a breed and should breed true. I would prefer them to be labeled hybrid, such as Marans Hybrid or Legbar Hybrid. It just seems more honest. I think giving them names is very confusing for newbies.

As for a plan for this year, I have no real plan other than I would love to hatch a few of my Wyandottes. I have a rooster I would like to replace. He has become a pain in the butt! He is beautiful but it is not possible to work around him without watching your back. I will not put up with him much longer. He is the only one I've ever had like this and I do hate it but he has got to go.

Has anyone ever bred a mean rooster and had luck with getting a nice son or 2 from them?

I had a mean speckled sussex roo. I sent him to a friend in north greece as her roo had died. while I was packing him I explained that my friend will butcher him if he dares to be mean. he is about 6-7 yo now and has been a cutie pie.

When you get everything done that will be awesome. Lots of work for sure. I like my pheasants for the fact that they eat less feed than my Marans and ducks. I have red golden, lady amherst and mandarin ducks. They have to all be completely enclosed or they would be gone.

I have just got yellow golden and lady amherst (and chukar partridges and quails). they are last years. will they mate this year? I read somewhere that golden females will lay some eggs but males should be at least 2 yo to mate. is that true? also someone had them as families, 2 females and 1 male and got infertile eggs. should they be in pairs (just golden pheasants)?

I only have the one lady amherst hen. All 4 of her babies where males sadly. I will try again when she start laying. When it was calling for really cold temperatures here I moved the 5 male pheasants and the 4 mandarin ducks. They all went into the Marans houses with the Marans. Trying to get everyone through the -10 F that we got. They will go back into the other sections soon.

do you have any pic of your pheasant housing? I need to make 2 for my 2 pairs. at the moment I have all of them with 3 partridges in a chicken pen.

I have, when I didnt have a choice I needed to breed a mean one once.

Yes, I ended up with a few nice ones but also some mean ones.

Its understandable if you must, just dont make it a practice because there is a genetic link.

But you could also have a really nice rooster throw nasty cockerels too. It happens all the time.

By selecting only calm, nice roosters to breed forward, your chances of getting a mean one goes down with every breeding season.
I knew nice roos could father mean boys so I felt like it could possible with the reverse. So many nay sayers around and folks just repeating things they "heard". Most have said don't do it. I do believe there can be genetic components involved too.

My roo, Amos, is a Blue Laced Silver Wyandotte. The color is difficult to replace. He looks very good for his breed. He came from a local breeder so I could get eggs or chicks in spring but they are the same stock and I'd have to raise them. I could end up with another mean boy. Lots of work and time!

I have 3 mature hens. One has really nice lacing. They lay well. They will be 2yrs soon. This year they molted/feathered quickly and went right back to laying. 2 give me speckled brown eggs. I'd love to keep those genes!

So I thought work with what I got. All birds will be for my own purposes. If things work out, I may sell hatching eggs in the future.

Thank you for your advice.

I had a mean speckled sussex roo. I sent him to a friend in north greece as her roo had died. while I was packing him I explained that my friend will butcher him if he dares to be mean. he is about 6-7 yo now and has been a cutie pie.
I think he must have understood what you said! 🤣

My husband told Amos he was not a smart boy. "There are 25 ladies around the corner. Why are you penned up over here. You are not thinking!" 😆

I knew nice roos could father mean boys so I felt like it could possible with the reverse. So many nay sayers around and folks just repeating things they "heard". Most have said don't do it. I do believe there can be genetic components involved too.

My roo, Amos, is a Blue Laced Silver Wyandotte. The color is difficult to replace. He looks very good for his breed. He came from a local breeder so I could get eggs or chicks in spring but they are the same stock and I'd have to raise them. I could end up with another mean boy. Lots of work and time!

I have 3 mature hens. One has really nice lacing. They lay well. They will be 2yrs soon. This year they molted/feathered quickly and went right back to laying. 2 give me speckled brown eggs. I'd love to keep those genes!

So I thought work with what I got. All birds will be for my own purposes. If things work out, I may sell hatching eggs in the future.

Thank you for your advice.
Yep. Work with what you have.

There is no benefit in replacing him with the same line he came from.

You will have to grow out a lot of cockerels to maturity to see their temperament but why not?

That is how anyone breeding for temperament begins.

It sounds like you have a good start with quality Wyandotte. May as well keep going :)

I think the hybrid names help people know what the genetics are. The name Mars Bar tells me infinitely more about the birds than calling them barnyard mix. When I was searching for hatching eggs to buy online, many times I would have to ask the seller what the genetics were of their olive eggers. Some use ameracaunas, some use legbars, some might use whiting true blues. It’s nice to know the difference.

Guys,
A prime example of the yellowish feet. He is maybe 24 hours old. The color is actually a pinkish/yellow in real life.

This time next week, I will not be able to tell who this is. The color will have changed to pink.

This chicks lineage is unquestionable. He is Pure Imported Marans line, nothing added.
20240202_112041.jpg

Guys,
A prime example of the yellowish feet. He is maybe 24 hours old. The color is actually a pinkish/yellow in real life.

This time next week, I will not be able to tell who this is. The color will have changed to pink.

This chicks lineage is unquestionable. He is Pure Imported Marans line, nothing added.
View attachment 3741058
I'm happy to hear there is a confirmation on this, mainly just for my own sake/record keeping.

And as always, Adorable.... ♥️
I didn't realize you were hatching. How many you set?

Guys,

View attachment 3741058
That’s just got me wondering if there’s a link between chick leg colour and yolk colour.
Just a random thought, nothing to do with genetics or the SOP.

Back
Top Bottom