International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I just deleted a response to your question after seeing @NanaK answer. I didnt want to confuse you any further.

Both doses are correct, there are many variables.

If I understand correctly, NanaK has sucessfully treated her hen with a similar issue using 250mg x2 per day.

I Would try this dose for him.
If it is an unknown infection, you should begin to see an improvement within days.

Sorry for any confusion this caused :)
I think it's good to know that dosages can vary and their limits. It helps to alleviate the fear of giving too much or not enough. :)

Just a little update on King. Still wobbly on his feet, and cant really tell if he's getting any better tho. Maybe a touch.
I started the antibiotics day before yesterday so he's got that and the B going. Here's pics of his feet if anyone notices anything off or not. I don't think there's SLM from my knowledge but does his feet look swollen? (ankles?) I can get better pics if needed, I was holding him and trying to get pics also so he wasn't happy about it.
Thank you for all the help with him it's super appreciated..
IMG_20240211_162045.jpg
IMG_20240211_162108.jpg

Just a little update on King. Still wobbly on his feet, and cant really tell if he's getting any better tho. Maybe a touch.
I started the antibiotics day before yesterday so he's got that and the B going. Here's pics of his feet if anyone notices anything off or not. I don't think there's SLM from my knowledge but does his feet look swollen? (ankles?) I can get better pics if needed, I was holding him and trying to get pics also so he wasn't happy about it.
Thank you for all the help with him it's super appreciated..View attachment 3746519View attachment 3746520

it looks swollen to me. is there any cut underneath?

Thank you for all the help with him it's super appreciated..View attachment 3746519View attachment 3746520
It’s always hard to tell with feather footed breeds because the feathers extend the scales on the side of the leg, it’s even harder to tell in older birds. I’d be inclined to say slightly, especially judging by the outer toe.

It might be slightly swollen on the foot where the middle toe meets the foot from what I see.

In the 2nd pic are any scales raised? Or is it just the area where to feathers join the leg?

When you look at the bottom of his feet make sure you check between the toes and the folds around the center foot pad. I've seen bumbles in those creases that I missed on first inspection.

I've had a couple older roosters they always had different looking feet than my older hens.

Wouldn't hurt to post in emergency forum to get further opinion. Of course I'll help you any way I can.

it looks swollen to me. is there any cut underneath?

It’s always hard to tell with feather footed breeds because the feathers extend the scales on the side of the leg, it’s even harder to tell in older birds. I’d be inclined to say slightly, especially judging by the outer toe.

It might be slightly swollen on the foot where the middle toe meets the foot from what I see.

In the 2nd pic are any scales raised? Or is it just the area where to feathers join the leg?

When you look at the bottom of his feet make sure you check between the toes and the folds around the center foot pad. I've seen bumbles in those creases that I missed on first inspection.

I've had a couple older roosters they always had different looking feet than my older hens.

Wouldn't hurt to post in emergency forum to get further opinion. Of course I'll help you any way I can.
I did get a peak at his feet yesterday, and didn't see any cuts or bumbles.
It's been hectic here the last couple days so not getting much one on one with him... Car needed brakes and grandbabies come to visit.
I'll clean his feet up today and get some much better pics.

As always, thank you all so much.

Finally got some better pictures of the cockerels, pretty sure they’re both going, I’ll stick with Loki for now.
89D79721-1E28-4B19-83D2-098057051007.jpeg
445BAF80-DC09-4CBC-BEF8-7D7B57AA6412.jpeg
A4EA7FA6-4C83-4DBC-AB7E-D2DD5ACDA1E3.jpeg
this is 12, his tail is not an improvement of Loki’s, his body isn’t any better and his copper is a little pale. He is not developing as quickly as 13. At least his legs are pink, his comb’s a little scruffy.
FCA9A372-CBE3-4F52-9635-4367AE152D90.jpeg
3200C628-3C02-4A51-A9E3-818C307EFE33.jpeg
CE6E9860-3809-4E47-9BCD-D2FAAA8F2112.jpeg
4B98EF21-25DE-460C-BF53-DC52BDBC24F0.jpeg
05CA91C0-3370-4549-8163-B8ED05DE29E0.jpeg

13, better copper and his face is reddening up quickly. I’m worried his comb might be too big, but time will tell. Tail awfully high, and yellow legs, definitely a cull (or sell). His body is a better type than his dad but the other faults outweigh this I think.
D44F7375-F32E-4A62-968B-1D773C11499D.jpeg
17DBC8B3-8318-4CE0-BD88-0F061D4CF000.jpeg
0D3C7AD1-E562-46A7-B132-15B58AFB6E41.jpeg

82, the pullet is really nice, not much more to say. Her Dam is Chanel, so I’m expecting her egg to lovely and dark.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom