International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

That's awesome... Keep us updated and hope you have a great hatch. 👍
The breeder seems really helpful and knowledgeable. It was nuce to be in contact with someone else who is dedicated to marans in England, whose bird are actually show quality unlike most of the ‘show quality marans’ that get sold on Facebook or eBay that have not been bred well.

The eggs he pictured are not as dark as mine (English marans often aren’t as dark layers) but still good and very shiny. The problem with Chanel’s (and Esme’s) eggs is that they are very matte like a Wellie’s and not shiny like a marans. Hopefully the F1s can inherit both Chanel and Esme’s dark eggs and the shine from the cuckoos.

I’ll post pictures of the eggs when they arrive, then update as they hatch. I’m hoping for a good hatch to get plenty of marans hens, so increase genetic diversity and just for the sake of having more marans eggs.

The breeder seems really helpful and knowledgeable. It was nuce to be in contact with someone else who is dedicated to marans in England, whose bird are actually show quality unlike most of the ‘show quality marans’ that get sold on Facebook or eBay that have not been bred well.

The eggs he pictured are not as dark as mine (English marans often aren’t as dark layers) but still good and very shiny. The problem with Chanel’s (and Esme’s) eggs is that they are very matte like a Wellie’s and not shiny like a marans. Hopefully the F1s can inherit both Chanel and Esme’s dark eggs and the shine from the cuckoos.

I’ll post pictures of the eggs when they arrive, then update as they hatch. I’m hoping for a good hatch to get plenty of marans hens, so increase genetic diversity and just for the sake of having more marans eggs.
Looking forward to all of this developing and seeing the pics... ♥️

It's been 7 days since I set eggs under both broodys. Joannie comes off the eggs everyday to do her usual rampage around the yard for a bit then back on her nest.
Momma on the other hand has only been off the eggs once. I've got food and water in her area for her.... Leave her be or pull her off the eggs?

Last year she did this same thing but she did start coming off the eggs, but soiled some of the eggs. I had to separate her because of the fighting and then the babies scatter chaos, yet she was sitting in full view of the flock.

Thoughts or ideas?

It's been 7 days since I set eggs under both broodys. Joannie comes off the eggs everyday to do her usual rampage around the yard for a bit then back on her nest.
Momma on the other hand has only been off the eggs once. I've got food and water in her area for her.... Leave her be or pull her off the eggs?

Last year she did this same thing but she did start coming off the eggs, but soiled some of the eggs. I had to separate her because of the fighting and then the babies scatter chaos, yet she was sitting in full view of the flock.

Thoughts or ideas?
I don’t know if you can but I like to put small drinkers and feeders that the hen can reach while on the nest. This way, she’s healthy but you might need to kick her off every couple of days so she doesn’t make a mess of the nest.

Thoughts or ideas?
I move my broodies to an area separate from my flock.

I try to watch to make sure broodies leave the nest for at least a few min per day to eat and poop. Most days they dust bath also. After I see she is going out I don't watch her as close.

I do leave a small waterer near her nest but I do not add food till after the chicks hatch. Food and another waterer are outside too.

After i see Mama take the babies outside, food and water are only outside.

Thoughts or ideas?

get her off. some hens can be stubborn and die. also check your broodies for lice and mites.

I don’t know if you can but I like to put small drinkers and feeders that the hen can reach while on the nest. This way, she’s healthy but you might need to kick her off every couple of days so she doesn’t make a mess of the nest.

wrong. broody must get up. feeder and waterer should be slightly away from the nest to encourage her to get up.

Back
Top Bottom