Intervention: Helping Your Chicks Hatch

I have not fully read all the posts on this thread, but I did scan that one person helped a chick that had not absorbed the yoke, or maybe it was hatched with the yoke still out?
Anyway, I have been having a habit of helping just a tiny bit each time I check if I notice a chick is not moving along as I feel it should.
This year I did it twice with ducklings. I had them in my incubator they pipped and I tried to help, I didn't do it all at once, but in the end, I ended up helping guide the head out, with my flashlight I noticed the yoke was not absorbed. Trust me I felt like total crap and would really recommend not helping to soon.
I called a friend to find out what to do. She read me a article got online and sent me others. So it took it in my own hands with what I had read. Which is pretty much what I ended up doing.
I only pulled the baby's head out a little so I could see. I carefully tucked baby back in the shell, got a warm wet paper towel, so it was soaked but not dripping, wrapped the egg and taped it with the blue painters tape, I left a small spot over the chicks face open so it could breath, then I wrapped over the paper towel with saran wrap and taped that to hold it, I placed the duckling and egg back in the incubator.
The main key was to NOT let the yoke dry out. The wet paper towel added to the shell helped keep moisture.
Later that evening I unwrapped the duckling/egg and added a new clean towel and rewrapped. Baby talking to me all the time. I repeated this a couple times. Then finally the duckling popped its head out of the egg and had its neck stretched out. I let him be not putting it back in as this is his own way of progressing. (Now in what I read it was pretty much the same thing, Minus the saran wrap, the directions I read were to take a zip lock bag, cut a hole in the corner put egg/chick in bag slip the baby's head out of the hole so it can breath, add a wet paper towel, always warm, and seal the bag so that the baby would stay moist, my duckling was not able to do this though because his head had not been out yet on its own) So I changed the wrap and this time I tried to slip him in the bag, it worked but I preferred the saran wrap. Usually when I changed the towels I would check the progress on the yoke.
Anyway this duckling absorbed the yoke and fully hatched on its own. It needed a little help getting past the paper towel and saran wrap. He hatched in June this year. He is a White Call Duck Drake and he is a little trooper! He hatched with another white all drake brother!

On the second occasion, I helped to soon again, same issue with the yoke, I followed all the previous steps and eventually over a night the next am I went to check and the duckling was trying to finish its hatch, it spun around in the egg an tried to "zip" another part of the egg to escape! I found him and unwrapped and let him free. Unfortunately I placed him under the lamp in a small carrier and didn't give him a spot to get away from the heat and well you know.
sad.png
I kicked myself for that one too. I knew better, and after all that work! He was a Black East Indy Duck.

So anyway if you find you helped to soon and the yoke is not absorbed you may try these tips and search for others experiences. I suppose it wont always work. So please try not to help to soon.

The aforementioned egg has hatched on its own. I took ti out of the incubator and moistened the membrane and then 3 hours later it finally managed to get out.

THanks for everyone's help!

That is probably what i would hve done. but, its possible its too much moisture. i read in a link not long ago, and i think it was on byc, that we have been using too much moisture and drowning the chicks.
with this latest hatch ive pulled back some on the humidity. but ive got much going against me..
1. the chicks in the eggs would be too related.
2. the 6 green eggs are from a very young hen and possibly not fertile.
three white eggs also over bred but they are jumping around in side the eggs so great. I did not know til lately that it was not ok to double breed chickens. didnt enter my mind. jdy

OK one green egg and one white eggs are piping ... hole in one big as a smiley. chick singing. the white membrane totally dry.. now im sick that i did not worry much abut the humidity.
I took tweezers and removed the shell in a circle around the egg and wrapped warm wash rag around the egg to mositen the membrane. ive put them back in incubator and one is rolling around and the other is silent. (he was singing). i had one spot of blood and my knees went weak. but it seems to be ok now.
im amazed, after reading about in breeding that the green one is alive. HOw i hope my "piddling" has not killed another chick. jdy

This egg piped 6 and a half hours ago.

I have never seen a membrane.. Is that what is showing white or is it part of the shell?

I haven't heard any noise or movement.. I've had humidity and temp issues..

I am sorry I cant get the pic clearer. It is taken tro the inspection glass on zoom.

Do I help it now or not? Please.. Just a yes or no..

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/Mareloo_photo/kuikenenbator014.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/Mareloo_photo/kuikenenbator013.jpg

I will be grateful and not hold anybody to anything.

yes.....

i had 9 eggs hatching.. 5 green from inbreeding i did not think of that being something wrong.. dont know why... but didnt think

i have 4 hatched and dry and singing their hearts out..they are resting and comfy under a bulb .. so cute and fuzzy.

im a great beiever in helping i have let somany die because i was scared

i would break the shell in a circle around the egg and give him help in getting out after 6 hours hes probably very tired.j dy

Quote:
OMG!!

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/Mareloo_photo/kuikenenbator018.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/Mareloo_photo/kuikenenbator017.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/Mareloo_photo/kuikenenbator016.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/Mareloo_photo/kuikenenbator015.jpg

The whole proses was actually much less pain free than I thought..

Thank you for giving me such a timely answer. It allowed me to take courage in both hands and do what needed to be done!

I have also put in a warm face cloth in for the humidity. In less than 10 min I got the humidity up to 58%. I did lose some temp.. The new baby cowled over to it and is sitting close to it. Touching it.. I am worried.. Will the face cloth lose some of it heat in time?

what a good way to wake up the day...

i have another chick hatched. five out of 9 aint bad. for me.

they are so quiet under their bulb. seem to be absolutley fine.

i put another egg in the incubator 3 days after this bunch its due to hatch toay or tomorrow. it is all alone in the incubator. i dont like to do that.

ill be tickled if it hatches this easy.
or at all.
glad to meet you.. im judy.. grandma to 4 fine boys. wife to almost dead old man who looks in every once n a while to see what im doing..retirement aint tht great.. you run out of th ings to talk about fast.

Foulweatherfriends (I have emailed yesterday..)or anybody that knows how to remove a membrane. Please post how to urgently.

I got a chick that piped 24 hours ago. It couldn't zip. I have ziped right around last night already. I do keep the membrane moist and there is no blood. It seem unable to push on its own out of the membrane. It is still alive, but don't think it will last another hour. it is getting quieter and slower.

If I don't get it out of that membrane it will die. I did kill a chick this morning trying exactly the same thing without any know how. I think it bled to death..

Back
Top Bottom