Intro from new member

pawsplus

Songster
11 Years
Dec 18, 2008
Middle TN
Hi, all! I've been on another chicken forum for a while and just found this one -- it looks great!

I only have 2 chooks. Clarice was a stray. Yup--the neighbors moved and abandoned her 2 years ago.
sad.png

190672283.jpg

She hung out w/ my horses that first summer, but I was always worrying about her, so I made her a fancy house, got a run, and the new neighbors helped me catch her. Then I found another chicken needing a home, Olivia:
192295440.jpg

and that's my flock.
smile.png
I wish I could let them free-range during the day, but my place is very near the road and b/c of the creek and woods behind, there isn't really a way to keep the chickens away from danger. They seem very happy, though.

I'll post pix of my coop (the old one and the new, huge one I just finished) in the coop section. Just wanted to introduce myself! I'm sure I'll have tons of questions.

Welcome to all three of you.

They look fantastic don't they, certainly seem very happy little chooks.

Look forward to your pics of the coop.

Jena.

Hi Elizabeth... at least I assume that's your name, unless you have another pet you haven't mentioned! I fell into the world of chickens by accident when we rescued a hen that a coyote had attacked. Then when she was healthy, we got another hen to keep her company, but she got picked off, we think by a bird, in November. I grabbed two roosters that a neighbour was going to cull so that my hen would have cuddle company (even though I've been told that the formula should be 1 rooster per 10+ chickens... oops) and in this frigid cold snap we're going through, they all seem fine. I can't wait till spring when my hubby plans to build a new coop (we're using the neighbour's). It will be insulated and heated so I don't have to worry next winter.

I like to free range my chickens even though there are always hazards. I think that now that I have the roosters, they will help protect the flock from predators (I notice even in the coop, they're always looking around)... and our neighbour's German shepherd helps too... I'm on a dead end road so we don't worry too much about traffic, and I'm surprised at how the chickens seem to know instinctively what their boundaries are. Have you considered putting up fences where you don't want them to go, or is that too much area?

Welcome to BYC... I love this group!
Lonnie

Back
Top Bottom