Introduce new hens to small flock?

LindaMarieLaur

Chirping
Feb 26, 2018
New York State.
I have a family coop and yard which consists of rooster, 2 hens, 2 sets of hatched chicks - one set of two are 17 weeks and younger set of two are 7 weeks. My 17 week olds are looking to be cockerels. They have pointed saddle feathers but don't crow yet. Friends are giving away their flock - don't want them over the winter and I am thinking to take the hens and add them to my family group (I also have 17 separate hens that I am not going to introduce to the rooster). I am wondering if I can just introduce them (thinking the rooster will keep order) or if I need to keep them near but separated for awhile first. I would love it if you would share your experience in this. Thank you.

Just for safety's sake, only take on healthy chickens and always keep new birds separated in quarantine for at least 2 weeks and monitor for any signs of disease. You don't want to end up like I did earlier this year and have to euthanize your whole flock due to a respiratory disease brought in by new chickens that I didn't properly quarantine.
Once they're finished in quarantine, you can introduce them to the other flock. Make sure there's plenty of space and food and water for everyone, and watch them for a few days while they're sorting out the pecking order to make sure nobody's being bullied to the point of getting injured, especially with younger chickens. There will be some fussing, but as long as no one's bleeding/getting hurt, let them figure things out. Good luck! :)

I am wondering if I can just introduce them (thinking the rooster will keep order) or if I need to keep them near but separated for awhile first.
No and Yes.

How much space in coop and run, in feet by feet, do you have?
How old, in months, are these other birds?

Consider biological/medical quarantine:
BYC Medical Quarantine Article
BYC 'quarantine' search

Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

This used to be a better search, new format has reduced it's efficacy, but still:
Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading, BUT some info is outdated IMO:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Ty. I have 17 hens in one coop and gave away a pullet turned cockerel which I loved to the family who is now getting rid of their chickens. Two of the family are cockerels (pretty sure) and only two hens in that yard. I'd like to keep them so I was thinking about adding their 7 hens to the family. I don't really need 7 more hens.... so I am sorta looking for alternative homes. They also have ducks which I do not want to add. I have a pond that I stocked this year and I don't need 9 ducks so I am looking to help rehome them. I will measure but believe the yard is 8 x 16. There is a small coop that is only used to lay eggs and brood. There are rafters. I am thinking to add homemade swings for amusement. I free-ranged and lost 4 to that effort. My yard wasn't secure and lost one to a predator. My rooster is mean but he and I have an understanding so I keep them within the yard letting he and his favorite out occasionally for maintenance. The cost of taking on additional is not that horrible, but the waste of eggs if I don't take them out daily with my broody can be a lot. I can add more yard, but am comfortable with what I have. My sister has one hen and now 12 young chicks. Wish they had made this decision before she decided on chicks. There is also a rooster I gave them with two hens that are being rehomed so I have a little extra interest there. My 17 go thru a bag of feed a week; if I take some the other group will probably also do the same; I have two goats that go thru a bag a week. I give the eggs away. Hmmmm

I will measure but believe the yard is 8 x 16. There is a small coop that is only used to lay eggs and brood.
Have you been thru a winter yet?
In your climate they all need to fit into the coop,
with room to spare for those nasty days long snowstorms...
...unless your run is super protected from weather and predators.

This might be a time where your heart is ahead of your head. If I have the numbers right, you have 6 birds (two of which are cockerels) and are looking at adding 7 hens. Are you planning on taking their/your rooster back?

Either way, you are doubling that flock. In New York State - you too will be having the long nights of winter... which is a long time for the birds to be cooped up too tightly. It would be hard to get enough ventilation in a small coop for that many birds.

If you can find others to take birds, I would let at least some or maybe all of these birds go. Or pick a couple of them, and let the rest go.

I do not think it is the run, so much as the coop and the 14 hour nights that might be the problem.

Mrs K

Have you been thru a winter yet?
In your climate they all need to fit into the coop,
with room to spare for those nasty days long snowstorms...
...unless your run is super protected from weather and predators.
Yes. The family coop is used only for laying eggs and brooding. My first group used the coop, but this group doesn't. They roost on the rafters all year round. I just keep an eye on the rooster's comb and wattles which are long. I put vaseline on to keep them from frostbite. His wattles end up in the water when he drinks.... I have a tarp over the yard year round and add to the sides for winter. Works fine. My laying hens spend the night inside their coop.

This might be a time where your heart is ahead of your head. If I have the numbers right, you have 6 birds (two of which are cockerels) and are looking at adding 7 hens. Are you planning on taking their/your rooster back?

Either way, you are doubling that flock. In New York State - you too will be having the long nights of winter... which is a long time for the birds to be cooped up too tightly. It would be hard to get enough ventilation in a small coop for that many birds.

If you can find others to take birds, I would let at least some or maybe all of these birds go. Or pick a couple of them, and let the rest go.

I do not think it is the run, so much as the coop and the 14 hour nights that might be the problem.

Mrs K
The more I think about it, the less I want to add to what I have. Considering the hens because I probably won't get rid of the cockerels. More likely I'll keep an eye on things and consider moving the 2 hens to my other coop (no rooster there). I do enjoy having "the family" though. The coop isn't used by the family. They roost all year round in the chicken yard.

Back
Top Bottom