Introducing New Hens to Established Flock ?

Annie's Backyard Flock :

Well, here's an update on the chicken husbandry saga: The Turkens were put in the hen house on Wednesday night around midnight. I disconnected the light that goes on at around 5am. I went out at the crack of dawn and opened the pop door. The original flock went out into the large yard. I found the Turkens huddled together in a nesting box. I then opened the other door and the Turkens were "encouraged" to go into the run. After a few hours, I let everyone mingle again in the Big Yard.

Dusk fell and I went to make sure everyone was settled. I found one Turken roosting on the window sill and the other in the nesting box. I took both of them and put them back on the roosting poles. I plugged the light back in and secured all doors. I went to bed.

This morning, I went out to collect eggs. I noticed that one box was on the coop floor. I had 2 girls in the other boxes, so I closed the hatch and went around to the main door to pick up the box. The Turkens were on the roost. I gave the girls their privacy and came back to the coop in about 20 minutes. This time I opened the box door and what I saw took my breath away. The inside of the box area looked like someone was masacred. There was blood on the walls, door, ceiling. I scooped up both Turkens and brought them inside. To my horror, one had a huge chunk out of her neck, the other had peck marks and missing feathers. I washed and sanitized the wounds. Took the Turkens to a safe part of the yard and let them free range.

I'm now left with a dilemma. I was going to separate out the RSL as stated above, but the Turkens have open sores on them I don't want to encourage the others to peck. So now, do I separate the Turkens until they heal then take the RSL out for 2 days? or do I just take the RSL out and see if she was the only one causing trouble? I have 2 RSL, 2 Cuckoo Marans, and 2 Barred Rocks. The one Cuckoo is the leader and she seems ok with them. The others have shown NO interest in the Turkens.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I have a cage and area to put either hens in. Separating them is not an issue.

No question, take the injured ones out, till they heal....​

No question, take the injured ones out, till they heal....

I removed the Turkens last night and put them back into the area they had during their "quarantining" time. Will let them free range with the flock during the day until they heal. Once they heal, I'll remove the RSL that is causing the issue and separate her for a few days. Then I'll try it again. I'll let you all how it goes. Thanks for the advise.​

I ended up doing day one- the new girl in the pen in the yard, day two and three free ranging together (without any problems) then putting the new girl in the coop on the roost that night. The next morning they were best buddies! *phew*

I ended up doing day one- the new girl in the pen in the yard, day two and three free ranging together (without any problems) then putting the new girl in the coop on the roost that night. The next morning they were best buddies! *phew*

I am SO glad it worked out. My Turkens have JUST healed from the attack. I was going to pull the RSL yesterday but then the darnedest thing happened: It started to SNOW in October. I couldn't have just one girl in a coop that is not as warm as the main coop. The Turkens are together for warmth, the RSL would be by herself to stay warm. So, hopefully tomorrow it's supposed to get up to 50 degrees and no more snow 'til it's normally supposed to snow ( December)! They all have been free ranging together for a week with no issues. Keep fingers crossed!

Seeing that weather is unpredictable, there better be harmony soon or someone is going to be a little cold.
big_smile.png

Here we go again. Turkens are all healed. They have been free-ranging with the flock since the "blood bath". Tonight, I placed them on the roost in coop; unplugged the light so it can stay dark longer in the morning. Removed the RSL, Spice, and she is in the garage in a separate cage. Keeping her there for 2 days to make her the "new girl on the block". Then, we will try it again. Wish me luck.

I have three Red Star hens who are very sweet. We brought home 5 new hens yesterday (they are all roughly the same age) and did the quarantine right next to the fenced in chicken yard for a few hours so they could check each other out. Then, while we supervised, we brought them into the yard one by one. The first one we put in was okay for a few minutes until Jersey, normally the most docile one we have, and her went at it. I let them for a short time (it's normal, I know) but then it got too out of control and one of the others joined in and ganged up on two out of my original three! We broke it up and everyone went about their business for a bit. Right up until they all decided to go into the coop and check it out. Then the fighting started all over again. We decided that it wasn't going to be safe for anyone all night. We took the newbies back out, put them back into the chicken tractor, still next to the fence so they could still see each other, and everyone settled right down again. This morning, all seems well. They are yelling at each other a bit, but nobody is trying to peck through the fence or anything. My Peeps is very stressed out. She is kind of a nervous Nellie anyway but she is really stressed. What do you think we should do? Leave the new girls in the tractor for a couple of days? Or try to night time introduction? My worry is that we will wake up to a blood bath!

Barbians4 - while it might be a good technique to have the hens where they can see each other, it is not a quarantine. Just a separation. quarantine is two separate quarters, with nearly 300 feet in between them, separate feed bowls, and separate water bowls, and with a lot of chickens at risk, it is a complete change of clothes including shoes, between chores for each group.

I will give my two cents on adding chickens:

Only add healthy chickens.
Add chickens that are nearly the same size.
There is a home front advantage, chickens living there will defend it.
There is an advantage to more numbers, if you add more chickens than you currently have, there will be little problems
A rooster helps, sometimes.

DON"T add
a single chicken - everyone knows she is new, and gives a thump
smaller chickens - unless raised by a broody hen within the flock

I do it kind of like math, with +'s and -'s. If you are going to add some quite not full grown chickens, well add a bunch all at once, with some hide outs, it will unsettle the flock, but they get over it

Also, if I am going to cull and add, I try and do it all at once, so that the whole flock dynamics is thoroughly upset, but it is only one adjustment.

I have tried the night, but I have tried the daytime, and had about equal results. Do make sure your run and coop, have several different levels, and hideouts, where birds can get away from the each other or out of sight.

Mrs K

Mrs K,

What if there is no choice on adding a single chicken? I recently adopted a new hen whose flock was attacked by a dog. She was the only survivor and is currently in quarantine for a few more weeks. I am considering giving her a friend, one of the low gals in pecking order, then making a slow introduction (sectioned off pen in the run) for a week or so. Any other thoughts or ideas?

My current flock consists of (high to low in pecking order): White americauna, two cuckoo marans, brown americauna and two RIRs.

Thanks for your help!

The one down the lowest on the pecking order is apt to be the meanest to the new hen. What you need to do, is separate one chicken from the flock, from the middle of the pecking order, if you can, leave her alone for a couple of days if you can. Now in this place away from the coop, add your new hen and leave them together for about a week, then add the "pair" back into the coop.

Make sure that you have plenty of hide outs, and barriers where chickens can get out of sight. But if the chickens are all close to the same size, this should work.

Mrs K

I may have to erect some sort of temporary shelter, but will give it a shot. All birds are the same age and size (for the most part) so hopefully it will work without too much stress. Doing this in the winter isn't the most convenient, but I don't have a choice. At least it's not 10 below like last week!

Thanks for your advice!

Back
Top Bottom