introducing pullets to existing flock and ROOS

chickenjones

Songster
10 Years
Jun 30, 2009
Burleson, TX
I am sure somewhere there is a post about this but I have been looking for quite a while and haven't found one so here goes. I have 6 hens and two roos. They all get along pretty well. I also have 6 chicks/pullets that are three months old. Most of my adult chickens are wyandottes and are pretty big. I have two smaller hens and one roo that is a RIR (also huge). My 3 month olds are pretty big. They have outgrown their small coop before we have finished adding on to the run of our main coop. They are as big as the small hens we have for sure. They are Light Brahmas so eventually they will be big.

They have been next to the main coop for quite a while and while we let the adult flock free range we let them in the main run to stretch their legs. We would like to integrate the two flocks soon. We have some idea of how to do that but we are wondering who is the bigger threat? The other hens or the roos and will the roos hurt or kill them? Do roos try to mate with chickens that are this young? They are pretty tame for roos but I don't know if they differentiate between adults and pullets. We have a few snooty hens that I am worried about but mostly I am afraid of the HUGE roos I have. Any opinions?

Thanks!!

Any or none of them could be aggressive towards your younsters. Sounds like they are close to the same size and have been exposed to one another. There will be some adjustment when you do integrate. Just watch them closely and seperate if it gets dangerous. And Yes the roos might try.

Good luck

Imp

Back
Top Bottom