Introducing the new comers to an existing flock??

chicken farmer

Songster
10 Years
Feb 7, 2012
Southern,Ohio
We all have young one's that are,going to,or already been introduced to the flock. Post your favorite/best way you introduce new or young birds to the flock. My favorite way is to put them in a wire dog crate for a little bit to see each other through the cage than open the door so they can come out when they feel like it. What's your way???
D.gif
wee.gif

I am a fan of stick them in at night and let them wake up together if they are full grown. I also never add just one chicken. I try to introduce balanced groups so that neither wants to pick fights with the other. Me being a control freak, I am up at the break of day on those occasions to see how it goes, but every time I have done it, it has worked beautifully. Mild pecking, but sorted quickly. With adding in young birds I would not do this until they are fully grown. My coop has an interior door that connects or separates depending. I place my younger birds on one side until they are full grown. they play in the run during the day while my mature chickens free range. They can see each other, hear each other, ect. Then when fully grown, I will go in at night and intermingle all the chickens, and set my alarm for in the morning to see referee if needed.

Sounds good,I've thought about that and it would probably be a good way so they don't just come in there territory in the middle of the day. They are there when they come down from roost.

We introduced 5 new girls to an existing flock of 7 (everyone is the same age). The two 'groups' remained separated for a bit, some hierarchy behavior of pecking and screaching did occur - took two weeks tops for them to chill and be a group of 12.

Added a rooster about 3 weeks ago...he was ostracized for a bit but has now assumed his male dominant roll.

Now it's a happy baker's dozen.

I have 2 6-wk chicks and one is looking like a cockerel. He will have to go as roosters are not allowed in town. Any advice on transitioning him out and new one(s) in?

Back
Top Bottom