Introduction, Hello from CroatiašŸ‡­šŸ‡·šŸ˜

Hi, Kristina, so glad you've joined us! This is such a friendly, helpful and fun community with members from around the globe.

So happy you and your parents are living on a farm again, congratulations! I'm curious about where you live in Croatia - climate, geography, local terrain, etc. as I admit I know very little about the region.:oops: What kind of rainfall, summer heat, winter weather, etc. and what kinds of housing do you use for your chickens?

It's cool and very rainy October-May here in redwood forested North Coast California, very dry and cool summers.

Again, welcome, glad you're here and interested to read your input/comments on BYC!
I live in Lika, a valley that is surrounded by mountains. Summer has perfect weather, chilly nights, but itā€™s very warm during the day, there isnā€™t a lot of rain and my land has a lot of trees that provides enough shade for my chickens, although they still have enough sun to sunbathe :) Winters on the other hand are quite rough. In the last few years we didnā€™t have a lot of snow, but rain replaced the snow and my Silkies arenā€™t too happy with it. They sleep in the house with me currently because they got ill. They got wet one day and I took them inside right away, blow dryed them but the next they they started sneezing and coughing so we called the vet and he gave us the meds and theyā€™re not too happy with that, but today they seem a little bit better. October here is not that cold, during the day itā€™s still quite warm 12-15Ā°C, during the night itā€™s 2-4Ā°C but itā€™s quite rainy. My mom and I built them the coop in our barn and we isolated it with styrofoam which wasnā€™t a good idea since they all love pecking it so we need to fix that asap. We connected the coop to the yard and we had to buy a lot of nets to protect them, we have a big problem with hawks. A few months ago a hawk picked up a hen right in front of my eyes when I went in the house for two minutes and since then I started taking extra good care of them. We dont have a big problem with foxes and other predators, just the damn hawks. But all in all thatā€™s Lika :)

:welcome:welcome:welcome

Welcome to BackYard Chickens from all the way in Maine, USA. We're so glad that you decided to join us! Feel free to ask any questions that you may have concerning your chickens or share pictures and stories of your lovely birds. (I'd love to see some pictures of your flock, especially of your Croatian breeds. :D )
Thank you :) I would love to share some pictures and stories, there are of course some good and some bad stories. My whole flock is still quite young, but I love to see them grow, it amazes me.
This is Jurek, heā€™s a Croatian breed and looks quite simmilar to Seramas. He has a girlfriend, but unfortunately he doesnā€™t like her. Heā€™s always trying to do the deed with bigger hens and of course it never works and the ladies donā€™t like that, but that doesnā€™t stop him, so we always try to put him and Katica together but it doesnā€™t work. He just likes ladies that are way bigger than himšŸ˜

Attachments

• IMG_0320.jpeg
    IMG_0320.jpeg
    267.6 KB · Views: 15
Thank you :) I would love to share some pictures and stories, there are of course some good and some bad stories. My whole flock is still quite young, but I love to see them grow, it amazes me.
This is Jurek, heā€™s a Croatian breed and looks quite simmilar to Seramas. He has a girlfriend, but unfortunately he doesnā€™t like her. Heā€™s always trying to do the deed with bigger hens and of course it never works and the ladies donā€™t like that, but that doesnā€™t stop him, so we always try to put him and Katica together but it doesnā€™t work. He just likes ladies that are way bigger than himšŸ˜
Wow, beautiful bird! :love Thanks for sharing! Hm, maybe try separating the teo from the larger hens and see how that goes?

My brother used to say "the big girls provide shade in the summer and keep you warm in the winter" (after his wife heard him he had to stop saying that.)

Wow, beautiful bird! :love Thanks for sharing! Hm, maybe try separating the teo from the larger hens and see how that goes?
Theyā€™ve been separated from the others for a week now and heā€™s just not interested. Today I returned him to the flock and he immidately ran after my WelsummeršŸ˜‚ I donā€™t mind that, Iā€™m not trying to get chicks yet. I started buying chickens this summer. I just want them to bond since they werenā€™t even sleeping together. Itā€™s just funny to watch him try to climb on a hen that is twice his size. Also this is Katica :)

Attachments

• IMG_0328.jpeg
    IMG_0328.jpeg
    626.4 KB · Views: 9
Theyā€™ve been separated from the others for a week now and heā€™s just not interested. Today I returned him to the flock and he immidately ran after my WelsummeršŸ˜‚ I donā€™t mind that, Iā€™m not trying to get chicks yet. I started buying chickens this summer. I just want them to bond since they werenā€™t even sleeping together. Itā€™s just funny to watch him try to climb on a hen that is twice his size. Also this is Katica :)
Not sure what his problem is. I have a couple of roosters that would love that beautiful girlā£ļø

Back
Top Bottom