Is Acanthus Mollis (bears breeches) toxic to chickens?

Caz123

Hatching
Apr 17, 2015
Hello.
I am a new member and will soon be a first time owner of 4 chickens.

We are setting up our coop and have the preferred area for our chickens that they will just love, except we do have Acanthus Mollis in that area of the garden.

Does anyone else have their chickens near the same plants, or have any info for us about whether or not it is toxic to chickens? Any bad experiences with it?

I have read on www. poultryhelp.com/toxicplants.html that it is not toxic to chickens plus some other bloggers write they recommend it in their chicken garden, however I still a little concerned.

Would love some others feedback in relation to this plant and their chickens.

Thanks
Caz

I just acquired one after a "nextdoor" neighbor showed how many plantings of Acanthus mollis his small backyard flock had access to for 6 years! His very healthy appearing chooks did not eat it, but benefitted from the lovely shade and grub communities that it supported. I am not finding any info online that contradicts my own eyes!

I did just read of its non-toxicity and high mucilage/tannin content for both internal and external medicinality, but warns that in mild winter regions like my Zone 9B, it spreads aggressively by roots unless very effective bamboo-type root barriers used. It is perennial down to zone 5, evergreen to zone 7. Choose its LONG TERM location wisely for part shade to full sun. Full shade is unlikely to kill it but not likely to flower! If it is spreading (great for transplanting around a pasture area!) or needs removal for other reasons, "repeatedly cutting growth away from the crown, (even roots down a foot/replacing all that soil) will weaken and flatten it, so it can be smothered by cardboard, weed membranes, black plastic or whatever you have. Acanthus also rots in wet soils, so finding a way to safely flood the area might kill it off."

"The symbolism and meaning associated with the Acanthus is that of enduring life, and the plant is traditionally displayed at funerary celebrations. In Christianity the thorny leaves represent pain, sin and punishment. Acanthus symbolizes immortality in Mediterranean countries."

"Mythology. The tale supposedly goes that Acantha was a nymph loved by the god Apollo. Acantha, however, rebuffed Apollo's continued advances and scratched his face. As a result, Apollo transformed her into the Acanthus, a plant with spiny leaves."

But Acanthus mollis has very mild spines, while its Sicilian sibling, Acanthus spinosus is far more dangerous! So choose wisely!

(sourced from Google)

Back
Top Bottom