Is *Biodine* as good as a coop disinfectant as Oxine?

PoultryPedia

Crowing
15 Years
May 25, 2008
Idaho/Utah
I haven't been able to find Oxine locally to use as a sanitizer for my friends' coops. She is battling Infectious Coryza in her chickens and I'm trying to help.

I have found something called Biodine. I think it is what vets use to wash their arms when treating livestock, etc.

Description at http://www.domvet.com/biodine.html says:
"Biodine is a 1.75% iodine complex indicated for use as a detergent , sanitizer, and disinfectant for poultry farms."

Anyone have experience with Biodine and know if it will kill the bacteria that causes Coryza, CRD and related illnesses?

It's an iodine dilution of sorts, look and see if you can find the package insert and that should tell you what it is effective at killing. Or I would extrapolate from what I could learn about iodine and it's efficacy on such things.
I bet it would work just fine though. no experience with that myself though, I bought the oxine which was way too expensive to ship.

I have learned a LOT about Oxine in the 10 years since creating this post!!
(Useful note: Oxine and Oxine AH are the same product.)
Yes, it is an excellent disinfectant for use with chickens! I have put together a whole page of info on Oxine chlorine dioxide disinfectant on my website, as well as an interactive calculator, at www.poultrypedia.com/chlorine-dioxide-for-respiratory-sickness.
Although you do have to mail-order it, even after factoring in shipping and also buying citric acid "activator", it only costs less than $1.50 per gallon after dilution when used at high strength 500 ppm "activated" mixture
You can also use it at 75 or higher ppm concentration as a super-inexpensive hand sanitizer spray. See CoronavirusAirMist.com for info on that.

Back
Top Bottom