Is deer fence adequate daytime protection?

Kee11

Songster
Mar 18, 2019
Redwood Valley, CA
EA824958-50A2-4047-BC02-50AE0BA6DADE.jpeg Hi Everyone, I’m wondering if the run we built is secure enough for daytime predator protection. We have only 2’ high, 1/2” wire cloth at the base, with only about 6” of that going into the ground. Above that, we have the stronger, heavier (although larger-holed) nylon deer fence. We have the lighter weight, smaller-holed deer fence covering the top. Do we need to worry about small predators getting under the 6” deep 1/2” wire, or over the 18” high 1/2” wire and through the larger-holed deer fence? The coop itself is 2-3’ above the ground and completely nighttime predator proof (except maybe from black bears).
Thanks for your thoughts/advice!

Depends on how hungry the predator is. Anything that wants to get thru that will get thru. So the question is more about if anything will be trying to get in during the day. Do you ever see anything lurking? What you have would most likely deter flying predators, which is nice.

My run is more secure that yours, but not by much. I live in a suburban neighborhood and so I am not quite as worried about ground predators during the day. Coop is secure, like yours.

Since you mention bears, have you considered a couple strands of electric fence? Then it doesn't matter as much how beefy your deer netting is.

if i understand right and the wire is 6'' under the ground i see no problems. Is the deer fence metal?
No, it is the black nylon kind... the heavier, larger-holed deer fence (on the side wall of run) comes in 7' x 100' rolls, and the smaller-holed deer fence (used for top covering) also comes in 7' x 100' rolls, but it is folded in half, so the roll is only 3.5' long.

Depends on how hungry the predator is. Anything that wants to get thru that will get thru. So the question is more about if anything will be trying to get in during the day. Do you ever see anything lurking? What you have would most likely deter flying predators, which is nice.

My run is more secure that yours, but not by much. I live in a suburban neighborhood and so I am not quite as worried about ground predators during the day. Coop is secure, like yours.

Since you mention bears, have you considered a couple strands of electric fence? Then it doesn't matter as much how beefy your deer netting is.
Yes, I would like to have electric fence, but we are starting fresh this year after the entire remote property burned... house, outbuildings, trees, everything, in the October 2017 wildfires, and now my boyfriend is against anything electric that could possibly come in contact with the vegetation, so that's not an option, unfortunately. Even thought they are suppose to be fire safe, he just isn't comfortable with it.

Yes, I would like to have electric fence, but we are starting fresh this year after the entire remote property burned... house, outbuildings, trees, everything, in the October 2017 wildfires, and now my boyfriend is against anything electric that could possibly come in contact with the vegetation, so that's not an option, unfortunately. Even thought they are suppose to be fire safe, he just isn't comfortable with it.
So Sorry to hear about your house :hugs

Do we need to worry about small predators getting under the 6” deep 1/2” wire, or over the 18” high 1/2” wire and through the larger-holed deer fence?
Unless you're around to hear any alarm calling, I would worry. Easily penetrated by sharp teeth.

Back
Top Bottom