Is eggshell DNA testing viable?

Oldegarlicshnapp

Songster
May 11, 2020
This company, IQ bird testing, has been recommended to me. I noticed on there it has the option to test eggshells. That would be great to send them what I’ve got from the incubator right from the get go. But if it’s dried out and whatever other issues there may be with this validity— is it possible?

This company, IQ bird testing, has been recommended to me. I noticed on there it has the option to test eggshells. That would be great to send them what I’ve got from the incubator right from the get go. But if it’s dried out and whatever other issues there may be with this validity— is it possible?
Yes, I have sent eggshells to IQ genetics for testing many times. Very reliable results. You have to follow their instructions to the letter. It’s actually the membrane inside the eggshell that has the DNA material.
It requires that you watch the chick hatch and immediately grab the eggshell, mark it and also band the chick, so you know which chick came from which egg shell. Meticulous records are important. Good luck!😊

Back
Top Bottom