Is it fertile?

tharrell

Songster
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
Colorado Springs
I was shocked to discover our little gander is in fact a goose... I'm having a hard time deciding if her egg is fertile or not, and whether I should collect them for hatch. There is a gander with her, but he's paired up with another goose. Any thoughts? Thanks!

It was a first egg so I wouldn't incubate it regardless. Goose eggs are huge, I have limited room in my brinsea. I don't want to put in an egg I don't know to be fertile when I have them from another bird that definitely are. Thanks for the input though.

U should put it in incubator for 5 days to fertile the eggs.
Not crack the egg when drop from ur poultry

Inspecting the germinal disc of a few "sacrifice eggs" is actually quite common practice in assessing fertility for the collection of hatching eggs. While test incubation is also an option, it is not the only one.

Thanks for the replies :) I have no problem looking at other people's eggs and being sure of an answer, but when it's comes to mine I always second guess myself! I saw them breeding yesterday for the first time. I still can't believe this goose is a girl. "She" tried to breed with my daughter's head last fall, I have a video of it! I'm still in shock. We love that bird, I hatched him, well her I guess. I'm setting eggs tomorrow, I have two of hers so far. I guess we'll know for sure soon enough! I had a 100% hatch on chicken eggs this week, so I'm hoping for at least something from these eggs.

Thanks for the replies
smile.png
I have no problem looking at other people's eggs and being sure of an answer, but when it's comes to mine I always second guess myself! I saw them breeding yesterday for the first time. I still can't believe this goose is a girl. "She" tried to breed with my daughter's head last fall, I have a video of it! I'm still in shock. We love that bird, I hatched him, well her I guess. I'm setting eggs tomorrow, I have two of hers so far. I guess we'll know for sure soon enough! I had a 100% hatch on chicken eggs this week, so I'm hoping for at least something from these eggs.
good luck!! and thats hilarious! your poor daughter
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom