Is it normal for baby chicks to have combs?

Biddieacres

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
A few of the chicks started getting combs at a week old. Is this normal? I got them from a feed store and wondering if a few are roosters.

my sussex and campines started showing some comb development from about day 8-9 (by development, I mean like you notice the comb when you first look at the chick's head, as opposed to you have to squint, which I thinkn you could see *some* comb by squinting right from the get-go). And one golden campine has had a markedly BIG and RED comb from day 12. The ones that developed the combs earliest are now, at nearly 3 wks, still the ones with the largest combs and I feel fairly sure that most or all will be the roos of the bunch.

Here is a pic of the most extreme one, "mr rooster head", at I think 12 days:

chicks011-1.jpg

and here again at approx. 15 days:

chicks011-1-1.jpg

(The 'early large red comb' crew unfortunately includes my son's favorite GC, "Peep", the runt... I am not sure I want to keep *any* GC roo but surely not the runt... I dunno, will jump off that bridge when I come to it I guess
tongue.png
)

Last edited:
what type of chick is in the piccy ? i see it has green leggs and my chicks have them too, trying to figure out what they are has me puzzled , think they are EE, but tey are light grey and dark grey all over except their wings are white and tail and they have a white stripe lengthwise on their bodies/

My RIR has had a comb since a week, but she really seems to be a girl, it has stayed the same size since she got it.

Thank you Patandchickens for the pictures. I feel better now.
smile.png
Like you said, I do have to squint or look pretty close to see their combs so maybe they are hens. Lets hope because I love them all so much and do not want to have to give any away.

ohy pat and chickens
thanx u
i am by noi means an expert either.
i went from milking 5 cows twice a day to going crazy over chickens ! we have 130 of them , which 101 are jumbo cornish and the rest are brown eggers mixed. I think the free exotic chick might be an EE , hence the green legs?
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom