Is it OK to lift a broody hen off hatching eggs to look?

kimmom

Songster
9 Years
Feb 20, 2010
Is it OK to lift her off to check under her for progress? How often is it OK? There is one hatched and another of the 6 remaining has a little hole in it. The kids are so excited to watch so how do I let them peek and still give Mama hen lots of space and room?

I lift mine to check on the eggs and to see if she's added eggs to the ones I put under her. This is only my 2nd broody hatch, I am not an expert by any means. In my 1st broody hatch I lifted her off the eggs a few times and she had 100% hatch. Hopefully someone else will give some info too
smile.png
Good luck!

If she'll let you. Some hens will peck you. I've gently lifted up a broody's chest to sneak a peak but be careful. If she becomes flustered she may accidentally step on a newborn or crack an egg. Wondering what's going on under her at hatch time is a real nail biter!
big_smile.png

Most times I put up a screen infront of broody hen so others can't get in with her & lay exta eggs. In evening I lift her out of nest so she can run for drink & corn. She always get back on nest in few minutes. If she has gotten in wrong nest I just replace her to right one. Always put mark on her original eggs so can tell if any have been added. On hatch date check for hatched eggs & remove shells. Works for me.

I have been lifting mine every day to eat and drink. I slip my hands under her wings from the sides and check to make sure she does not have an egg in there then lift her. I take her to the water and food. She puts herself back. I check the eggs while she is off. I have a very sweet buff orp. Yeah I have my first pip today. Gloria Jean

Back
Top Bottom