Is it realistic to caponize a pet “illegal” cockerel?

NTan

In the Brooder
May 21, 2021
A couple of days ago I ended up with a cockerel instead of a pullet, and roosters are illegal in my area. This little guy is so sweet I really don’t want to send him back to the farm or have him be slaughtered. He’s 2 - 3 months old. Opinions on if this a humane procedure and if it will keep rooster crowing and aggression down are extremely welcome.

Honestly, I would give him away to a place I would know he had lots of friends, and will be very happy. Find some nurseries or local egg sellers to give him too. I’m not for that stuff, your making him “disabled” 😅.

Honestly, I would give him away to a place I would know he had lots of friends, and will be very happy. Find some nurseries or local egg sellers to give him too. I’m not for that stuff, your making him “disabled” 😅.
How would he be disabled? It's the same as fixing a dog or cat

Its not a real humane procedure. It's fine, but it's pretty tough to people who see them as pets. The animal is restrained without anethesia (birds can have really bad effects from it) and then is opened enough to remove the testes. However if the male has already started to crow, even after he's caponed, he'll continue to crow. It's a learned having at that time.

There is also a risk (lower the more one is experienced in doing it) of the bird not making it

I haven’t been able to find someone willing to take him - it seems like everyone is full up with roosters right now.
In what way would it be disabling him? Is there a bigger/more problematic response than for dogs, bulls, etc.?

Well yeah that’s why I don’t to that stuff. Especially to such social animals that hate to be alone unlike cats or dogs in some instances.
He’d have a bunch of chickens with him for company. They already get along really well.

Back
Top Bottom