Is it time to free range my pullets?

Mar 10, 2024
It’s funny, cause since I’ve released the pullets into the rest of the flock no one seems to be interested in establishing a new pecking order. The gunieas and turkey are chilling together, the cinnamon queens are palling around, nuggy and chicky and chilling over in a corner and the og chickens are chilling in the soon-to-be-coop where the pullets were first placed outside. Wondering how this is going to affect the flock dynamics when I start free ranging them.

Adding young chicks shouldn't really affect the pecking order. It's assumed the young ones are on the bottom. So no one need to establish it.

It can cause problems when space is tight, but with enough space you don't really see any problems in my experiences.

So the flock has been integrated in the run for two full days and the pullets have been in the run a total of two weeks prior to that. Is it time to start free ranging them? Or should I keep them all cooped up for another couple of days?

So the flock has been integrated in the run for two full days and the pullets have been in the run a total of two weeks prior to that. Is it time to start free ranging them? Or should I keep them all cooped up for another couple of days?
It may take them awhile to got out very far. I would just lock them up separately at night for a while.

It varies. I’d say the oldest were purchased in mid march. The rest 2-3 weeks later. The oldest ones are larger than my smallest adult.
Are the younger birds used to ranging?
Are the new birds roosting in the coop at night?
I'd not let them out until they are roosting with no problems,
then let them all out close (1-2 hours) before roost time and observe as they all come back to the coop to roost.

Back
Top Bottom