Is it too cold and is the coop too shabby for 5 week old chicks with our cold weather?

I am in Northern Lower Michigan, the Torch Lake area. Just had snow and rain all day yesterday ugh. Today they are out and playing in the leaves, even though it's cold still. I see you're in the UP so probably have tons of snow already!
Yuk! you get that darn Lk effect from Grand Trav Bay. I lived in Petoskey for a while, loved the skiing but the squalls coming of Lk MI…wow!
Where I am now is pretty comparable to Gaylord weather but it gets much colder here in North Central UP. We get squalls off Lk Sup hitting the Michigamme basin. We had 24 inches of snow with that last storm but it lasted just a few days. 60 F today.
Michigan: Pure unpredictability!

Ours are 8 wks and I just moved them to the coop yesterday Temps drop into the mid to high 20s. I did supply them with a heat source at 60 degrees over roost area. Checked them this morning and they were scratching about the litter and chattering and drinking 26 degree water. They're a lot happier having all that room to move around. The rooster was really giving his voice some real testing. They're birds and they no more about adapting than the majority of humans.

Back
Top Bottom