Is it too cold to put my chicks outside?

kathyzimmy

Chirping
6 Years
May 22, 2017
I have six chicks - two are seven weeks old, one is six weeks, one is five weeks, and two are three weeks. I live in southern PA, and daily highs have only been in the high 50's or low 60's. Nights get down to the high 30's. I'm afraid that it is too cold to put my older chicks outside. Their rubbermaid tote is getting very crowded, and they are so dusty! Advice???

as long as they all get along, they should be fine. honestly, its your call. what i did for the first few nights is puttem outside for the day and teach them where their "home" is, and then put them in there and shut the door to the run a little bit before sundown. Then check on them at sundown, and then every 30 minutes to an hour until you go to bed. if they're chirping sharpy, or are in visual distress then bring em back in. they should be a little bit huddled, just because theyre new to this and thats their comfort balnket, but shouldnt be shaking or anything. just trust your insticts is my best advice <3 good luck!!

Can you run electricity to your coop? Any other chickens?

I'd want to move them all out at once, so there's no need to reintegrate, due to the size/age differences. If you can provide heat out in the coop then they can all go at once.

I'd want to move them all out at once, so there's no need to reintegrate, due to the size/age differences. If you can provide heat out in the coop then they can all go at once.
All of my other chickens were eaten last year, so I'm starting over. I'm using a standard chicken heat lamp inside. Can I use that outside? Is it safe?

I liked this idea.

We weren't able to base any replies yet, on what sort of artificial heat measures you either have or don't have in place outside.

When I did chicks I didn't do them outside. I had them in the basement. But damn, I can't stand the stink. I'm worried about family mutiny more also if anything is inside with a smell.

But some people with heat lamps are doing them outside earlier than others. I also noticed that some of these people also make sure their heat lamps are very secure with chains and not just loose string ties, and being really careful about fire risk.

Thanks rose

All of my other chickens were eaten last year, so I'm starting over. I'm using a standard chicken heat lamp inside. Can I use that outside? Is it safe?

It is if you secure the lamp really well (do not rely solely on the clamp!), have a coop that you know is draft free, and well secured against predators and possible chick escape.

I brood outdoors in the run using a brooder made from my old coop.

I don't like heat lamps in the coop. But that's just my personal opinion. You might want to consider a mama heating pad instead, you could do a super simple style and just put a box on its side and attach the heating pad to the inside top of the box. That would generate enough heat within the box to help out the little guys.

I don't like heat lamps in the coop. But that's just my personal opinion. You might want to consider a mama heating pad instead, you could do a super simple style and just put a box on its side and attach the heating pad to the inside top of the box. That would generate enough heat within the box to help out the little guys.

Now that you mention it, I'm curious if that heating pad you've mentioned might last longer than a heat lamp, before having to replace it?

Back
Top Bottom