Is my 7 and a half week old barred rock hen really a barred rock?

ComeAlongBort

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2024
Central WA
IMG_0470.jpeg

I’m suspicious she might be a cuckoo maran because of the blackish feet.

Attachments

• IMG_0469.jpeg
    IMG_0469.jpeg
    982.2 KB · Views: 12
I have one that developed like that too...sort of...

20230917_132944.jpg
She's on the right, lays large brown eggs, yellow legs.

Hey, I'll join the club. This one was supposed to be a barred rock too. It acts completely different than the others. It's a better forager, is much faster on its feet.

This is her at 11 or 12 weeks old.

IMG_1661.JPG

And a more recent picture. She's on the left.

IMG_3423.JPG

I’m suspicious she might be a cuckoo maran because of the blackish feet.
Blackish feet can happen on Barred Rocks and on Cuckoo Marans.

Barred Rocks should have yellow on their feet (all the parts that are not blackish.)
Cuckoo Marans should have white on their feet (again, all the parts that are not blackish.)

The chick in the first post is not colored like a normal Barred Rock or a normal Cuckoo Marans. Either of them should have black feathers, with white lines running across the feathers from side to side.

The feathers in the neck area, that have a white line running down the middle of the feather (the long way of the feather), and a white edge all around the curved end, are NOT normal for a Barred Rock or a Cuckoo Marans.

So either there is a hatchery selling "Barred Rocks" that do not look right for the breed (or "Cuckoo Marans"), or else she is meant to be something else.

Blackish feet can happen on Barred Rocks and on Cuckoo Marans.

Barred Rocks should have yellow on their feet (all the parts that are not blackish.)
Cuckoo Marans should have white on their feet (again, all the parts that are not blackish.)

The chick in the first post is not colored like a normal Barred Rock or a normal Cuckoo Marans. Either of them should have black feathers, with white lines running across the feathers from side to side.

The feathers in the neck area, that have a white line running down the middle of the feather (the long way of the feather), and a white edge all around the curved end, are NOT normal for a Barred Rock or a Cuckoo Marans.

So either there is a hatchery selling "Barred Rocks" that do not look right for the breed (or "Cuckoo Marans"), or else she is meant to be something else.
Yeah, I’m guessing the place I bought her from (tsc) messed up on labeling the breed since they labeled her as a barred rock.

Also, along with the hen in the photo, I bought two “Easter egger” chicks that turned out to be cream legbars.

Back
Top Bottom