IS MY CHICKEN DYING OF OLD AGE OR SOMETHING WORSE?

chickens and chics

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2020
hello,
one of my beloved rescue chickens that I have had for 12 months appears to by dying of old age, I rescued her when she was about 12-18 months old and have had her for nearly 12 months, she is an isa brown. she has had a heavenly life sine she came to liv with me on my hobby farm with her 12 other chicken friends but all of a sudden last week she started acting strange. I found her in the coop staring at the wall, she isn't interested in food or treats when I try to feed them to her or sprinkle them in front of her. she is still drinking and I discovered that she completlty comes alive for her favourite food wich is cheese she almost comes entirely back to life when I show it to her and then after she's had enough she gos back to being lathargic and un interested. she's stands in that 'im a sick chicken stance' and has poo all down her bottom. she's manly pooing out water but she's still walking around mostly with her friends. its very sweet because the other rescue hens she came to me with sit with her all day and walk her through the garden. the strange thing is that although it sounds bad she's not suffering and doesn't really seem sick. she's still her but just different. at first I put it down to old age and prepared for the worst but its now been seven days since she starting acting funny and nothings changing im wondering if I should take her to the vet and find out whats going on but dose anyone know how long from when chickens start to show signs to when they do pass on if its old age? im very worried as I want to help her if I can as im very attached! over all she's quite happy just not interested in anything but cheese and very lethargic. PLEASE HELP!!

I think ill take her to the vet. should I seperate her from the others? she's been in there for a week and none of the others are acting sick. they free range all day so they rant in close proximity. I have heard that chickens usually know to stay away from a sick chicken to save the flock but they are sitting with her in the hay shed and walking with her to. thanks so much for your help, it is a relief to know that I will have them for such a long time I was very sad when I thought I only had them for 2 years!

I think ill take her to the vet. should I seperate her from the others? she's been in there for a week and none of the others are acting sick. they free range all day so they rant in close proximity. I have heard that chickens usually know to stay away from a sick chicken to save the flock but they are sitting with her in the hay shed and walking with her to. thanks so much for your help, it is a relief to know that I will have them for such a long time I was very sad when I thought I only had them for 2 years!
I have many friends who have had their isas for 6 or so years. It's true that they weren't engineered to live a long time, but many do. It really depends on how poorly she was cared for before you got her.
Wait to spend money until someone on here who has had isas for a long time tells you if she is sick or dying from something that can't be helped. You can search back through previous forums and then find owners and DM them.

Edit to say I have been having trouble with my comments on this app, so if this posts 6 times I apologize. My phone is terrible.

I don’t know if this has anything to do with it, but you should not feed chickens cheese. A small amount on occasion is ok I guess, but dairy is not something chickens easily digest.

thanks for your concern! I realise its not ideal, I only feed it to them occasionally as a treat but as she was unwell I was giving it to her more often as its the only thing she'll eat and it at least is giving her a protein supplement.

I have many friends who have had their isas for 6 or so years. It's true that they weren't engineered to live a long time, but many do. It really depends on how poorly she was cared for before you got her.
Wait to spend money until someone on here who has had isas for a long time tells you if she is sick or dying from something that can't be helped. You can search back through previous forums and then find owners and DM them.

Edit to say I have been having trouble with my comments on this app, so if this posts 6 times I apologize. My phone is terrible.
thanks so much! ill have s read through some old threads now.

Back
Top Bottom