Is my chicken dying?

mschickiemama

Songster
11 Years
Oct 6, 2011
Since last night her head slowly rises slightly upward while she's at rest. This morning she can't stand on her own. She falls and lays down. I had to take her out of the nesting box she sleeps in.

She hasn't been interested in food except like 2 bites of egg the past 2 days. But she drank water and pooped daily.

Originally she had a crop issue but she is 11 so I thought maybe that's not the main issue. Vet didn't feel tumors or eggs when I went in. Her crop has shrunk a lot from the meds or from not eating.

Is she dying? It's really hard to watch and I can't stop crying. She is peaceful and laying down quietly. But just the fact she's possibly dying is hard. I'm just laying with her right now. How long does this take if she is dying

I am so sorry. :( it's really hard to watch them struggle.

If you have already taken her to the vet, I doubt there is anything you can do. However, if you can get food and water into her, that should be your main priority. Make her comfortable and separate her from the other chickens.

As for how long she has left, I'm not sure. IG we just have to wait and see :(

Aaaaawww... I feel for you. She might be letting go. 11 is pretty old for a chicken, and I bet she had a wonderful life!
My RSL is 10, and I don't even want to think of that yet, but I need to. I lost her buddy about three months ago, but Red is as ornery as every with a RSL new friend. I picked up an almost full grown RSL because she was so lonely all by herself.

My Barred Rock, Diva, slowly stopped eating and drinking, her energy plummeted and then she lost a lot of weight very quickly, but she kept holding on. She tried to follow Red around the yard and do chicken things, but then she would just stand there looking out into space. She eventually developed pneumonia and died very painfully. I wished I knew the signs of a chicken withdrawing from life because I would have put her down.

Have you thought about euthanasia? It might be the kindest thing to do.

Now, I have 5 new chicks, all Olive Eggers, (Cuckoo Maran over an Easter Egger) and they've helped me to move on and remember the good times with my first flock of hens. They're ready to go outside, too. It'll take a number of weeks before I can integrate them with Red and Roxanne! I've even talked myself into building a new coop and run.
I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. It's never easy to lose a beloved pet. :barnie

I just read today the not walking and I think the head thing too can be dehydration. I syringed 1 ml of water into her mouth five times a few minutes ago. Does anyone know how much fluids she should be getting per day?

She has some fight in her -- when I did the syringe she was moving her head and trying to get away. Same way she did with the crop medications.

Poor old girl! I know the feeling of not knowing how to help when one of our babies is not well. Being with her right now is the best because she knows you’re with her. Ugh. It’s so tough, though :(. But definitely keep at the fluids thing and maybe give her water with electrolytes in it if you can (especially if it is dehydration). Hoping she can bounce back!

Poor old girl! I know the feeling of not knowing how to help when one of our babies is not well. Being with her right now is the best because she knows you’re with her. Ugh. It’s so tough, though :(. But definitely keep at the fluids thing and maybe give her water with electrolytes in it if you can (especially if it is dehydration). Hoping she can bounce back!
It's hard to know if I'm doing the right thing or just making things worse. She fights it when I syringe water and she tries to get away. Mostly I've just been letting her sleep. That's all she wants to do. :/

Back
Top Bottom