Is my chicken dying

madman109

In the Brooder
Jan 6, 2024
My cream legbar on left of photos is the oldest chicken I have and she has shrunk smaller than my younger legbar. Her wattles are pale and sagged over and it’s been like this for ages I’ve wormed them all and flead them but she hasn’t changed anything, also her neck feathers are really pointy now like they’ve fallen off and I’m not sure what to do. Is she going to die. Their food and water intake is good since the other chickens are thriving so I’m just worried

Attachments

• 5B501E77-FBB0-4C92-BB89-16DEAB3338D8.jpeg
    5B501E77-FBB0-4C92-BB89-16DEAB3338D8.jpeg
    720.5 KB · Views: 21
  • B5EEE46A-3ABB-49FD-80B5-B18EF0E10637.jpeg
    B5EEE46A-3ABB-49FD-80B5-B18EF0E10637.jpeg
    817.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 3EDC6346-806A-4CF7-B9E8-C7949F21B98B.jpeg
    3EDC6346-806A-4CF7-B9E8-C7949F21B98B.jpeg
    662.5 KB · Views: 10
My cream legbar on left of photos is the oldest chicken I have and she has shrunk smaller than my younger legbar. Her wattles are pale and sagged over and it’s been like this for ages I’ve wormed them all and flead them but she hasn’t changed anything, also her neck feathers are really pointy now like they’ve fallen off and I’m not sure what to do. Is she going to die. Their food and water intake is good since the other chickens are thriving so I’m just worried
Is it spring or fall where you live?

If it is fall, she might just be molting. If it is spring, that is probably not the explanation.

Is it spring or fall where you live?

If it is fall, she might just be molting. If it is spring, that is probably not the explanation.
It is spring atm but going into winter in june, just weird cause the others don’t seem to be molting that much lol

Do you mean her comb, the fleshy thing on top of her head? The wattles are under her chin, behind the beak.

As for the feather breakage on her neck - do you have a rooster?
Yes sorry I meant the comb, and there is no rooster in my flock

What do you feed, including treats?

I don't think she's dying. Can you feel her crop first thing in the morning before she has anything to eat or drink and report whether it is empty or not? And if not, how does it feel? Hard, soft, doughy, gritty, etc.? Let us know and we'll go from there.

It is spring atm but going into winter in june, just weird cause the others don’t seem to be molting that much lol
Chickens normally molt several times as they are growing up, but after that they usually molt once a year in the fall.

I asked about the season where you live, because places like the USA and Europe are having spring & summer while Australia is having fall & winter.

But if she is 8 months old, and it is spring, then this would not be a normal time for her to be molting.

I see @BigBlueHen53 has some ideas for what to check to try to figure this out, so hopefully this will get solved soon :)

What do you feed, including treats?

I don't think she's dying. Can you feel her crop first thing in the morning before she has anything to eat or drink and report whether it is empty or not? And if not, how does it feel? Hard, soft, doughy, gritty, etc.? Let us know and we'll go from there.
I feed them all Norco poultry feed fine quality layer mash it’s 17-18% protein they also get calcium grit and veggies such as carrots lettuce corn cauliflower but not too often and they also free range. Though my legbar has stopped laying for weeks. She used to be big and alpha in flock she looks deflated now. She seems to eat and drink fine though. I will try to feel her crop in morning even though I maybe won’t know what I’m feeling for

Back
Top Bottom