Is my chicken eggbound?

Yurd Ahd

Chirping
5 Years
May 19, 2014
First off, I have had a whole genetic line of chickens come from one original hen that two or more died from eggbinding. I am down to the last two girls (original hen and daughter) who are prone to it. So about 5 days ago I noticed one (the daughter) has been looking eggbound - she is showing all the signs: puffed out, not moving a lot, legs spread out, and can't jump upwards. Her abdomen also seems very swollen. She still walks around and eat and drinks. So just yesterday I did what Iv'e done before and that is to soak the rear end of the chicken in warm water. I soaked her all day and then I felt up in her and there was a bloody calcium deposit like plug in there and I got it to come out. It wasn't really like an egg like though it was broken up. My other hens that were eggbound usually died at this point as it is so stressful. But I got the cavity clear and flushed her with plenty of warm water and seemed not very stressed. I dried her off and she made it through the night and today she came out and was pretty normal except she is still sitting a lot. When she stands up she looks like maybe she is trying to lay an egg. I flushed her out with warm water again this evening just now and there was only a tiny bit of blood this time. So if you guys have any advice, I'd love to hear anything. I wonder if she keeps lame like this if I should put her to sleep because maybe she is suffering. I will take pictures and video a.s.a.p. Thanks!

It sounds to me like she is suffering from a reproductive disorder. They can also stand with legs apart and tail down, and may have an enlarged belly from internal laying or ascites fluid. I would probably make her comfortable, let her do what she feels like doing, feed her what she wants, and when she seems to be suffering, put her down. Sorry about your hen.

It sounds to me like she is suffering from a reproductive disorder. They can also stand with legs apart and tail down, and may have an enlarged belly from internal laying or ascites fluid. I would probably make her comfortable, let her do what she feels like doing, feed her what she wants, and when she seems to be suffering, put her down. Sorry about your hen.
Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom