Is my EcoGlow safety 600 working properly? Is it ready for day old baby chicks?

MaggieTheGenZChickGirl

In the Brooder
Oct 22, 2021
Eastern Massachusetts
I will be getting chicks in the mail in a few weeks, so I decided to test the brooder recently to make sure everything was working so i wouldn't be scrambling last minute. The ecoglow safety 600 is the kind where one side can be higher than the other, so after some research most people suggested to put one side at 1 inch and the other at 1.5 inches high. I did this and left my thermometer underneath the lower side for about 24 hours and the temperature was 84 degrees. I then flipped it over and placed the thermometer on the plate directly for another 24 hours and the temperature then was 94 degrees. Is my brooder working correctly? Is this how it should be when they first get home? Just want to figure this out before they come so I can prepare if its not right. Thanks!

I will be getting chicks in the mail in a few weeks, so I decided to test the brooder recently to make sure everything was working so i wouldn't be scrambling last minute. The ecoglow safety 600 is the kind where one side can be higher than the other, so after some research most people suggested to put one side at 1 inch and the other at 1.5 inches high. I did this and left my thermometer underneath the lower side for about 24 hours and the temperature was 84 degrees. I then flipped it over and placed the thermometer on the plate directly for another 24 hours and the temperature then was 94 degrees. Is my brooder working correctly? Is this how it should be when they first get home? Just want to figure this out before they come so I can prepare if its not right. Thanks!
I have used a MHP (Momma heating Pad) not a heat plate. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mhp-in-march-outdoors.77419/
But I think it should work about the same.. Measuring temps is not that important. If the heat plate is warm to the touch then it is simulating a broody hen. The chicks can touch up against it to get warmth.

I have used a MHP (Momma heating Pad) not a heat plate. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mhp-in-march-outdoors.77419/
But I think it should work about the same.. Measuring temps is not that important. If the heat plate is warm to the touch then it is simulating a broody hen. The chicks can touch up against it to get warmth.
Agree with this! Will you be brooding indoors? Sometimes with the plates outside or in an area below 55 degrees you might have a bit of a problem for thr first few days, but if they are in the house there is no problem at all.

Agree with this! Will you be brooding indoors? Sometimes with the plates outside or in an area below 55 degrees you might have a bit of a problem for thr first few days, but if they are in the house there is no problem at all.
Yes they will be indoors, thank you and jreardon1918 for the help! just wanna be sure im doing everything right, being a first timer and all

Back
Top Bottom