Is my paint silkie a purebred?

wolf-deer88

Songster
Jan 27, 2022
Dixieland where I was born
So a purebred paint silkie has to be the offspring of two purebred paints, right? My paint rooster's parents were lavender and white, so is he not pure? As y'all can tell I'm terrible with chicken genetics. 😆

Thanks in advance!

So a purebred paint silkie has to be the offspring of two purebred paints, right? My paint rooster's parents were lavender and white, so is he not pure? As y'all can tell I'm terrible with chicken genetics. 😆

Thanks in advance!
Paint x Black = 50% Paint and 50% Black, Lavender is a black bird that has been diluted with recessive lavender so this cross of Paint x Lavender = 50% Paint and 50% Black. All of them will hide recessive lavender

paint has a genetic 'recipe' to accomplish, I think lavender is usually part of the recipe.
Hi, sorry for asking in someone else's thread, but I'm trying to work my way twards paint.
I currently have:
3 black hens and 1 black pullet,
A white cockerel with buff leakage,
2 lavender pullets.

I wasn't gonna keep the lavender pullets. I had no idea lavender can be used in paint breeding. Do I have any way of working lavender in the mix with what I've got?

Hi, sorry for asking in someone else's thread, but I'm trying to work my way twards paint.
I currently have:
2 lavender pullets.

I wasn't gonna keep the lavender pullets. I had no idea lavender can be used in paint breeding. Do I have any way of working lavender in the mix with what I've got?
I'm not familiar with paint enough to help, I'm sorry.

I currently have:
2 lavender pullets.

Self blue is the proper terminology for a Silkie exhibiting the lavender gene. Paint is just dominant white over black. If your cockerel has leakage has two copies of dominant white if mated to black or self blue then all offspring would be paint. If mated to self blue all offspring would be split to self blue. If you breed the splits together 25% of those would be self blue and potentially paint as well.

Back
Top Bottom