Is my Rhode Island Red a rooster or hen?

Blii

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 21, 2012
This is Otis, I got him as a present for mother's day. I believe, first of all that he is a he, and he is about 3 1/2- 4 months old now. We were told that he was a rooster when we got him, but my husband has his doubts as to how true this is. He is super sweet and has imprinted on may family in the short time that we have had him. He acts more like a lap dog then a rooster so I would like to find him a companion to help bring out his inner chicken. in order to do this I need to make sure that our little Otis is, in fact, a rooster. Can any one help?

I appreciate the input. Being a first time owner, I know very little about chickens. I've spent a lot of time looking at pictures and forums trying to get some answers with no luck. I wasn't sure if he/she just looked like a hen because he was younger. Guess that's what I get for thinking a pet store should know what they're talking about and selling.

well in a month or 2 you might have some eggs.
thumbsup.gif

More then surprising, that would be a miraculous conception......Otis is my one and only right now
smile.png
But I am currently searching for a feathery friend for her.

More then surprising, that would be a miraculous conception......Otis is my one and only right now
smile.png
But I am currently searching for a feathery friend for her.
This reads as though you may think the hen can't lay eggs without a rooster? If I am understanding correctly you should know that is not the case, hens lay eggs with or without roosters. my apologies if I misunderstood and you already knew that. Good luck!

The miracle would be if the egg was fertile. Hens lay eggs without there being a rooster present. As for a companion, if Otis is a hen, I would get another hen. I don't remember the minimum recommended number of hens per rooster - 10 maybe?
I was just going to add that chickens are social creatures and it would be a good idea for her to have a friend. I would say another hen for her to be friends with.

Back
Top Bottom