Is one of my chickens not laying?

brunof399

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2017
We have had our chickens since April of 2017. I have been very happy with the egg production but I am beginning to wonder if 1 chicken has never laid an egg. We have 7 chickens but have only ever seen 6 eggs laid in one day. Is it possible that the chickens have never all laid an egg on the same day? Or is it more likely that 1 chicken has never laid an egg?

You can check the chicken in question by measuring her pelvic bones.
ztJ5EK7RfAh4KXUjWCUEoBmFVmVObHCB6BlbEICok9z0VgFugxs7ZVOtkbJSBjqcmTTHL23RrbAYlFu7rBZejdF3fCuLjh-GqdJhKALJTKkBf5mOo9D2tVDCbo_ZIkOkgAiwMyLL

92uF9VXKDrngCr2Jw6h2G8QK3CjZlfVPyGxgWdMWuRYJrldgpIN135i1q8ZUVg5TMRYXz14Ks4R4P3mjSpaOn_qzALXABHW7BlZ4PiZ-7lkRbPtsDO1s6AGNAHAywCePD0iUPTPc

You can check the chicken in question by measuring her pelvic bones.
ztJ5EK7RfAh4KXUjWCUEoBmFVmVObHCB6BlbEICok9z0VgFugxs7ZVOtkbJSBjqcmTTHL23RrbAYlFu7rBZejdF3fCuLjh-GqdJhKALJTKkBf5mOo9D2tVDCbo_ZIkOkgAiwMyLL
That's a pretty good 'info-graphic'....too bad it's not labeled 'laying' and 'not laying'.
Here's a real skeletal illustration and explanation:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

We have had our chickens since April of 2017. I have been very happy with the egg production but I am beginning to wonder if 1 chicken has never laid an egg. We have 7 chickens but have only ever seen 6 eggs laid in one day. Is it possible that the chickens have never all laid an egg on the same day? Or is it more likely that 1 chicken has never laid an egg?
Welcome to BYC!
What breeds do you have?
Same birds only lay 2-3-4 times week, pretty rare to get an egg from every bird then.

Except when I had sex linked hens, it's rare for me to get the same number of eggs as the number of hens I have, even in the beginning of lay. It happens from time to time. I would think your hens are all laying unless you have other evidence, they take turns with a day of rest.

That's a pretty good 'info-graphic'....too bad it's not labeled 'laying' and 'not laying'.
Here's a real skeletal illustration and explanation:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Welcome to BYC!
What breeds do you have?
Same birds only lay 2-3-4 times week, pretty rare to get an egg from every bird then.

Thanks for the replies. I have 2 Buff Orphingtons, 1 Barred Rock, 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, and 2 Black Australorps.

Don't get me wrong - we are getting plenty of eggs. I was just curious if we had a freeloader ;-)

I find it rare to get as many eggs in one day as I have hens that are laying. I read that it takes a hen on average 26 hours to make an egg, so 6 out of 7 sounds good from here!

My chickens are the same at as yours. I think I have gotten the same number of eggs as chickens once in a year! I know they are all laying as I have figured out who lays which eggs.0

Back
Top Bottom