is straw better bedding for Ducks

Dorothy1324

Songster
12 Years
Jun 21, 2007
just wondering if Maybe straw would be better bedding for the ducks we have 11 muscovy ducks well actually 10 muscovys and one quacky duck. they just make such a mess of the shaving bedding it becomes just this matt of poop even with cleaning it about every three days wondering if maybe straw would work better.

Straw won't absorb the poops any faster than shavings would, and straw can hold moisture and get really really nasty. It won't be any easier to clean.

Perhaps you can try some hay? Also not easy to clean out.

Last edited:
so..what is the best to use then?..i have been using straw....its cold here now..and we pile it high for them..BUT, it IS messy!...the poop just sits on top of it...what else can i use?...what about that care fresh stuff?...but..will that keep them warm outside in the winter?...

Quote:
Mine are in the coop with the chickens, so they get to sleep in shavings and hay, it gets compacted down pretty fast - I'm not looking forward to the spring cleaning AT ALL.

Quote:
Mine are in the coop with the chickens, so they get to sleep in shavings and hay, it gets compacted down pretty fast - I'm not looking forward to the spring cleaning AT ALL.

ooh!..i hear ya there!..ducks are messy critters....
th.gif

I have to disagree about the straw.
idunno.gif
I have used straw and wood shavings both. Separate and together. I keep straw on the coop floor. I like it there better than the pine shavings. However, I prefer pine shavings in the nesting boxes only because the hens always manage to peck the straw out of them. I have no problem at all going in the coop with a pitch fork and lifting all the straw out and putting clean down. I do this about every two weeks for the floor. Takes me about 10 minutes to clean it and put fresh down.

My coop is very dry inside and I have an attached run. Maybe that makes a difference.

Edited to add I do this for chickens.......I don't have ducks ( darn ).

Last edited:
My duck house is 4X8 and I use roughly 80% straw 20% wood chips. It hasn't clumped up at all. I grew up with ducks and remember the amount of poo and the odor. I have five calls and they hardly poo in the house at all and I keep the locked up at night. The seem to want to go more outside or in their pool.

Thinking about it more, they have no food or water when locked up at night. So that may have an impact on the amount of poo they leave in there.

Jeremy

Thankyou all for the replys just trying to find a solution to the mess of my ducks (without getting rid of the ducks which we love)

Back
Top Bottom