Is there a certain way chickens like to roost that doesn’t match my coop?

demonic

Songster
Apr 12, 2021
New York
I built a coop into one of my backyard sheds for my 5 hens a few weeks to a month ago, and obviously they would have trouble adjusting. they would fall off the roosting bars and basically slept everywhere but the roosting bars. However, nowadays I realize they do know how to get on it, but don’t sleep on it. I see them sometimes on the bars when running away from hens that are pecking them, but they never settle down and sit or sleep on them and they are barely on them in general. Is there a certain way that chickens like their roost bar that my coop doesn’t match? Here are pictures. Are the nesting boxes too low? They sleep on top of the nesting boxes, in the shelves up above the roosting bar (we store stuff like DE, grit, bug spray and more in there) and sometimes even in the nesting box or the stairs leading up to the nesting box. I made the roosting bars wide so they can make their feet flat when they sleep because I thought that was better for them.

Attachments

• E89B4B58-D181-4E90-BB16-0A04D74CCE01.jpeg
    E89B4B58-D181-4E90-BB16-0A04D74CCE01.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 87
  • EA0A657A-568A-4EB5-9795-B27583705084.jpeg
    EA0A657A-568A-4EB5-9795-B27583705084.jpeg
    308.5 KB · Views: 77
I built a coop into one of my backyard sheds for my 5 hens a few weeks to a month ago, and obviously they would have trouble adjusting. they would fall off the roosting bars and basically slept everywhere but the roosting bars. However, nowadays I realize they do know how to get on it, but don’t sleep on it. I see them sometimes on the bars when running away from hens that are pecking them, but they never settle down and sit or sleep on them and they are barely on them in general. Is there a certain way that chickens like their roost bar that my coop doesn’t match? Here are pictures. Are the nesting boxes too low? They sleep on top of the nesting boxes, in the shelves up above the roosting bar (we store stuff like DE, grit, bug spray and more in there) and sometimes even in the nesting box or the stairs leading up to the nesting box. I made the roosting bars wide so they can make their feet flat when they sleep because I thought that was better for them.
Most of them are too close to the wall and the next roost up. They need room to maneuver.
You need to have 12" of space in front of and behind the roost.
Are all the birds not using them? How old are they?

Most of them are too close to the wall and the next roost up. They need room to maneuver.
You need to have 12" of space in front of and behind the roost.
Are all the birds not using them? How old are they?
3 of them are 10 months old and 2 of them are a little over 1 year old. When I used coops I bought from amazon they slept in those small roosting bars but not these ones. My little 10 month olds seem to use them more then the bigger ones, but they don’t sleep on it. They stand on them throughout the day and jump from bar to bar but when it’s time to sleep they go on top of the nesting boxes or in the shelves

They'll find the thing that's highest, so your roosts need to be higher than the boxes
The chickens who are higher in the pecking order sleep higher than the ones lower in the pecking order. My 2 hens that are 1 year old sleep together in that one shelf that isn’t occupied above the roosting bars, and the 3 smaller ones usually just sleep on top of the nesting boxes. Why don’t those small ones sleep on the roosting bars though if the highest thing in the room is already occupied?

The chickens who are higher in the pecking order sleep higher than the ones lower in the pecking order. My 2 hens that are 1 year old sleep together in that one shelf that isn’t occupied above the roosting bars, and the 3 smaller ones usually just sleep on top of the nesting boxes. Why don’t those small ones sleep on the roosting bars though if the highest thing in the room is already occupied?
Which are higher, the boxes or the roosts?

If you REALLY want them to roost on the bars, you can just pick them up and put them there every night until they get it

When mine got a new coop with real roosts, they needed that for a few nights lol
The first night they slept in a pile by the door and when I opened it they almost fell out because they're just so graceful

Which are higher, the boxes or the roosts?

If you REALLY want them to roost on the bars, you can just pick them up and put them there every night until they get it

When mine got a new coop with real roosts, they needed that for a few nights lol
The first night they slept in a pile by the door and when I opened it they almost fell out because they're just so graceful
In the picture It shows that some roosting bars are lower than the nesting boxes but some are also above the roosting bars. they don’t need to sleep on the bars I was just curious to why they don’t sleep there. whenever we move them to the bar they just come right off. Dont want to block the nesting boxes though as I don’t wake up early enough to open it in the morning before my hens lay their eggs

Back
Top Bottom