Is there a cure for a nasty gander?

Trefoil

Songster
8 Years
Dec 7, 2011
I have got a really nasty gander, he year round attacks whenever I get within his striking distance, which varies on his mood. He attacks when I go to feed and goes after my hand or legs even when I try to shield with the food. I want to just bat him across the yard but don't want to injure him. Is there any way to cure him of this? Would a taser cause permanent damage?

I have got a really nasty gander, he year round attacks whenever I get within his striking distance, which varies on his mood. He attacks when I go to feed and goes after my hand or legs even when I try to shield with the food. I want to just bat him across the yard but don't want to injure him. Is there any way to cure him of this? Would a taser cause permanent damage?

My geese free-range and are pretty decent with me. Unfortunately, they attack my husband-biting his boots, nipping at his legs and even have been known to use their wings on him. He carries a bamboo pole with him and they don't bother him as long as he has it.

I just recently read another post on here that suggested you be the boss (right now the gander thinks he is the boss) and give him some chest bumps to back him up. If that doesn't help, you can try pinning him down to the ground (using neck/wings). According to that post, these actions will not hurt him. I wouldn't use a taser on a goose as that might hurt or kill him. I'll look for the post and send the link.

If all else fails, you could consider finding him a new home? (With another experienced goose owner)

More info https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/561849/geese-training

I have got a really nasty gander, he year round attacks whenever I get within his striking distance, which varies on his mood.  He attacks when I go to feed and goes after my hand or legs even when I try to shield with the food.  I want to just bat him across the yard but don't want to injure him.  Is there any way to cure him of this?  Would a taser cause permanent damage?

I have the same problem but he is definitely worse since I didn't hear him and he bit me. Next time he comes at you grab his neck and hiss then yell at him, he should take off screaming like a girl. Leonardo still tries to come at me but will keep his distance unless he's on the porch looking through glass door then he's Mr Tough guy.

My gander Sam who is Embden gander [not for the faint at heart breed by the way] will be 10yrs old on April 27 and has been here since he hatched, he never learns he will come at me daily any time I am close to them and want to bite me. We have many talks while I am holding him down on his belly with my hand on his neck to keep him from turning around and biting. He gets if for about 2-3 hrs and then is right back at it. Only during breeding season is he this ornery other 4 months of the year he is a pretty pleasant fellow.
roll.png

Last edited:
My gander Sam who is Embden gander [not for the faint at heart breed by the way] will be 10yrs old on April 27 and has been here since he hatched, he never learns he will come at me daily any time I am close to them and want to bite me. We have many talks while I am holding him down on his belly with my hand on his neck to keep him from turning around and biting. He gets if for about 2-3 hrs and then is right back at it. Only during breeding season is he this ornery other 4 months of the year he is a pretty pleasant fellow. :rolleyes:  
I wonder if that is what's happening with Leonardo. He wasn't like this when I got them in September but this last month he's been nasty. I actually think it's funny and pull out my phone to video. He used to run when he saw my phone but not anymore. Crazy boy!

I wonder if that is what's happening with Leonardo. He wasn't like this when I got them in September but this last month he's been nasty. I actually think it's funny and pull out my phone to video. He used to run when he saw my phone but not anymore. Crazy boy!
Most likely this is prime breeding season and boy do they get ornery. I have to try different tactics with Sam one day I raise my arms over my head to make me look bigger. I am only 5'2" other times I flatten him out. It has to be a surprise each time to get him to pay attention.
hmm.png

Most likely this is prime breeding season and boy do they get ornery.  I have to try different tactics with Sam  one day I raise my arms over my head to make me look bigger. I am only 5'2"  other times I flatten him out.  It has to be a surprise each time to get him to pay attention. :/
I just figured out if I put my arms out, hiss and stomp my feet he takes of screaming and running to protect the girls. Problem solved, for today anyway. LOL

Back
Top Bottom