Is there a feather growing under my hens eyelid?? (Pictures Included)

Rusty Shackleford

In the Brooder
May 27, 2022
Yesterday I noticed something wrong with one of my hens eyes. I thought she got poked or pecked but after looking further I noticed something in the corner of her eye and then tried to pull it out but it seems like there are feathers under her eyelid. I tried to remove it but it definitely seems attached to the bottom of the inside of her eyelid. Hopefully you can see what I mean in the pictures, I also added a picture of her good eye for reference. She's an 8 month old Salmon Faverolle.

What is going on here? What can I do about it?

Attachments

• photo_2022-05-27_15-27-43.jpg
    photo_2022-05-27_15-27-43.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 37
  • photo_2022-05-27_15-37-15.jpg
    photo_2022-05-27_15-37-15.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 16
  • photo_2022-05-27_15-37-16.jpg
    photo_2022-05-27_15-37-16.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 16
  • photo_2022-05-27_15-37-14.jpg
    photo_2022-05-27_15-37-14.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Welcome To BYC

Looks like she has some swelling around the eye as well. Have you noticed any symptoms like coughing, sneezing, wheezing, mucous from the nostrils, pasty material inside the beak?

Where are you located in the world?

I would flush the eye with saline, see if you can press whatever is in the eye out or see if you can move it with a qtip. It may be some type of debris or pus.
Apply an eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye to help with inflammation.

1653707872489.jpeg

Welcome To BYC

Looks like she has some swelling around the eye as well. Have you noticed any symptoms like coughing, sneezing, wheezing, mucous from the nostrils, pasty material inside the beak?

Where are you located in the world?

I would flush the eye with saline, see if you can press whatever is in the eye out or see if you can move it with a qtip. It may be some type of debris or pus.
Apply an eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye to help with inflammation.

View attachment 3126612
It is definitely red and irritated around the eye, I haven't noticed any coughing, sneezing, wheezing but there does seem to be some mucous from the nostrils on that side.

I've been flushing her eye with colloidal silver water and putting ointment on.

I did take a q-tip to it and pulled the top of what looks like to be a feather. You can see in my other photos but I also attached a close up...

Attachments

• feather in eye.png
    feather in eye.png
    796.5 KB · Views: 12
It is definitely red and irritated around the eye, I haven't noticed any coughing, sneezing, wheezing but there does seem to be some mucous from the nostrils on that side.

I've been flushing her eye with colloidal silver water and putting ointment on.

I did take a q-tip to it and pulled the top of what looks like to be a feather. You can see in my other photos but I also attached a close up...
It does look like great Hera in that picture. Is she acting normal besides some swelling around the eye?

It does look like great Hera in that picture. Is she acting normal besides some swelling around the eye?
Yeah fairly normal, shes eating, drinking and making her usual noises. I kept her separated from the other chickens most of the day since I wasn't sure if It was an infection.

It seriously looks and feels like a feather, it's the strangest thing. I pulled on it fairly hard but I don't want to hurt her so I stopped messing with it for now.

Yeah fairly normal, shes eating, drinking and making her usual noises. I kept her separated from the other chickens most of the day since I wasn't sure if It was an infection.

It seriously looks and feels like a feather, it's the strangest thing. I pulled on it fairly hard but I don't want to hurt her so I stopped messing with it for now.
Huh, that is a strange thing. Yeah, I’m willing to bet it’s a feather, either way whatever it is, it has to come out. Id try and pull it, but be careful

It sure looks as though she has a feather in there! If the quill part has gotten worked down under her eyeball, that might be why it won't come loose easily. Kind of like a fox tail. If you have a spare set of hands, perhaps you could either draw on it while flushing the eye, or hold the lid out a bit while pulling on it. I don't think it could possibly be growing there. You might research how to get a fox tail out of a dog's eye, to see if there are techniques that might work. I hope you can get it out! It must be crazy-annoying!
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom