Is there a loophole where shooting hawks is legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shoot their butts and tell no one, too many tattletale and snitches out there now. I don't babysit mine. they have lots of bushes, trees, shelters and of course their PWired covered run. I think its chicken abuse not to let them out and have lots of safe places to run to or hide etc. thanks all
But is is against the law to shoot them. And you can make mobile runs to move around the are big enough. Don't shoot them. Horrible idea! Plus they are endangered!

But is is against the law to shoot them. And you can make mobile runs to move around the are big enough. Don't shoot them. Horrible idea! Plus they are endangered!
The problem is they aren't endangered. Our city department uses them for advertising and now we have a ton of them. You can't drive down a road here and not see one or two eyeing other people's chickens. Also, it's pretty difficult to build a mobile run for pigeons.

Research your area laws.

I have a friend that has a fish hatchery and he isn't allowed to even put netting over his fish runs for his adult fish in west Virginia yet here in ky the state hatchery has full bird netting over the runs. Then again I used to know a guy that worked for the government ridding animals from trouble spots. Like at airports and government facilities. And I'm not talking about trapping and relocating.
Or how birds get killed at wind farms and the gov just let that go cause its deemed as doing a "good" thing.

I'm no expert, but I do have a friend into Falconry I've learned a bit from, as well as my personal experiences I will share.

As a Homing and Fancy type pigeon fancier for over 20 yrs & a chicken owner since 2015, I've had my share of Hawk & Falcon encounters, especially since I moved to a place on their migratory flyway...yup, lucky me, this is actually among the official "Hawk count" spots along the east coast.

I've also been involved with wild bird rescue with Tri State Bird Rescue, since 1987. Birds have been among my favorite photographic & art subjects, since childhood, too. While I have run outside frantically waving a broom at a Hawk while my little fancy pigeon cowered under a shrub, I've also been on the other side of the camera lens, appreciating their beauty.

I would never kill any bird, I have relocated several, though. Most birds of prey hunt mornings & dusk, or will make various pit stops throughout the day, often landing in the same spot, usually a tall tree to scope out the site. Most make habitual rounds, stopping over where they've caught breakfast or dinner before. The mature hawks usually don't hang out long if they can't get to your birds or see you or the family dog outside. They may visit briefly, repeatedly, for a few weeks, then if they've never caught a bird, mouse or rabbit, they often will stop by less & less, or remove your pit stop location from their regular route. The younger hawks however, are less experienced hunters, I've had them hang out 3 days straight, then finally near starvation & exhaustion, I've caught them easily, as they ran up & down the hallway inside my pigeon loft before dusk, not able to figure out how to get at my birds, or how to get back out, once I come in & shut the door. At that point after 3 days I knew young Hawkeye was very hungry, not steady on feet, it is darker inside the loft, making it easy for me to gently corner hawk & toss a light blanket over, scooping up, put into a dog transport crate, give poor bird some raw meat to eat for the 2 hour ride to the wild bird rescue.

I have a long hallway in loft & a few tins for feed, pigeons are in their own sections, so Hawk cannot get to them at all, but he doesn't know that. All I do is by day 2 or 3 I know I'm dealing with a weak, young, hungry Hawk, so before dusk I leave the main door open and wait. It may take a day or 2 but finally Hawk goes in, then I quietly come in & shut the door, hawk usually is behind my feed tins so I can gently throw a blanket over. Once covered in a blanket they sit perfectly still, just scoop up (wear gloves, they like to grip your hand, grab something as they're scooped up, not being mean, just their way of hanging on). There's a wildlife rehab closer but I go 2 hrs to Tri-state Bird Rescue, they will check for injuries, often nurse uninjured hungry birds back to health for a week, then contact me to do the release, if I want to. This was an awesome thing to do, often brought my Dad or a friend that appreciated such. Naturally I release about a 100 miles further North of my loft! Once released in an area where there are plenty of other food sources, that Hawk usually does not come all way back to my place. Now trapping a Hawk is illegal as well, but I know of people that do it on purpose. They are only supposed to be trapped or transported by a licenced person for such, BUT if you are transporting a starving or injured Hawk to a wildlife rehabilitator, then there is an exception. I am not telling anybody to do anything illegal, I'm just sharing what I have experienced and I have a clean conscience because I've never hurt any wildlife.

I love my own birds dearly, I have built them large flight pens for their safety, and I take every precaution. Sometimes, even still, nature happens. I've stitched up a few pigeons, luckily they've all survived. I do not blame the hawks or falcons for doing what they were born to do, they gotta eat & survive, too.

Anyway, if anything I've said here helps, then that's a good thing. I had to build my birds large flight pens and dig down 2' because I've got foxes & raccoons here as well, they're more of a hassle than the hawks. I've also had to limit their flying times of day & times there is no free flying, during fall hawk migration & winter. I learned the new ways of this area when I moved here & had to adjust. I do my best to live and let live. On a positive note, I've gotten awesome Hawk photos.

I wish you the best of luck with your birds!

Attachments

• 1601489304088_image.png
    1601489304088_image.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • image (10).png
    image (10).png
    202.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200829_182754.jpg
    20200829_182754.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 7
I think the aliens 👽 killed them! Lol
The buzzards & vultures just clean up the mess left behind.
The article pretty much said they might eat a small animal like a turtle. Calves are a lot bigger! The article mentioned a cow 'in childbirth' though, so i automatically wonder what other stupid errors they made, and tend to disregard anything else they said. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom