Is there an AC you can put in the chicken coop? I could really use advice!!!

Farmgirl283420

Crowing
Feb 21, 2023
So yes my chickens are big and fluffy and hate the heat I would love to put a AC in the coop is there one designed for this do you have one and what do you think the cost would be? I don’t want it to be cold that would shock them but a nice temp I have a fan and was planning to get more but they really only blow hot air around I could get more fans for the run and then if there is one an AC for the coop what are your thoughts?

So yes my chickens are big and fluffy and hate the heat I would love to put a AC in the coop is there one designed for this do you have one and what do you think the cost would be? I don’t want it to be cold that would shock them but a nice temp I have a fan and was planning to get more but they really only blow hot air around I could get more fans for the run and then if there is one an AC for the coop what are your thoughts?
I'm new at this but my friend told me she uses an extra large industrial fan, plus shade cloths, and occasionally a mist system but tries to set it so the coup/area doesn't get muddy, just damp. I think an A/C would cool so much then when they don't have it then they won't adjust well to the heat. My friend says not to make them switch temps too quickly. I'm just learning, but this is what she told me.

It's essential that a coop have good ventilation which would negate the work of an AC. Closing off the coop to keep it cool with an AC would cause respiratory issues, so I wouldn't recommend it.

I'd recommend setting up a fan that pulls air through the coop be setting the fan to blow air out one side and have an opening on the other side to let air in. This will help more than just blowing air around. I also recommend you make sure your fan it safe to use outdoors. These fans are normally designed with incased motors which is important when dealing with chicken dust.

Also, warm air rises so lots of ventilation at the top of the coop will also help the warm air escape.

Where do you live? What are your summer high temperatures?

For MOST climates, what you need are shade, abundant water, and VENTILATION.

Here is my hot climate article and my ventilation article:

Hot Climate Chicken Housing and Care

Repecka Illustrates Coop Ventilation

Ok thanks so much I'll have to read them not sure how hit it was last year maybe in the high 80 and somewhere in the 90??? Not sure but it was very stressful making sure they didn't over heat and on top of that they would drink a ton and because they're so fluffy get poopy butts so yes I had to give baths....... a lot

Ok thanks so much I'll have to read them not sure how hit it was last year maybe in the high 80 and somewhere in the 90??? Not sure but it was very stressful making sure they didn't over heat and on top of that they would drink a ton and because they're so fluffy get poopy butts so yes I had to give baths....... a lot

That's not too hot to cope with adequate shade and ventilation.

Post some photos of your setup and we can help you get it arranged.

This is what I did when I had a small coop in the full sun:

cover-image

Back
Top Bottom