Is there any way to tell what color egg gene a cockerel is carrying?

@mak2001 , The ear lobe generally determines the color of the egg for brown and white egg layers. Red earlobe is usually a brown egg and a white earlobe usually is a white egg. There are breeds that are an exception to this rule, though.
ear color has no link to egg color, its just a mith, genetically speaking they are two separate traits

@nicalandia I know they are not genetically linked. I'm just saying that is often the case. Let's say that there was a breed you had never seen before that had a white earlobe. If you had to guess what color egg egg it laid, it would be a safer bet to say a white egg rather than a brown one. My source is

http://www.mypetchicken.com/backyar...or-of-a-hens-eggs-determined-by-the-H232.aspx

is this reliable?

@mak2001 How does a hen have a green earlobe? Green eggs are a combination of the blue egg genes and brown.

He has a peacomb, which IS genetically linked to blue eggshell. Unless someone crossed in another peacombed breed chances are he carries at least one dose.

Peacombs are very loosely linked to blue eggs, in that they reside on the same chromosome, so they "usually" follow each other, but as you said, there are non-blue egg laying peacomb breeds, and they can separate spontaneusly even in an EE.

Since EE are bred for colorful eggs, there is a very high probability any EE roo will pass along a blue egg gene, but not a certainty, and no way to be sure of the genotype without test matings.

Peacombs are very loosely linked to blue eggs, in that they reside on the same chromosome, so they "usually" follow each other, but as you said, there are non-blue egg laying peacomb breeds, and they can separate spontaneusly even in an EE.

Since EE are bred for colorful eggs, there is a very high probability any EE roo will pass along a blue egg gene, but not a certainty, and no way to be sure of the genotype without test matings.

no, it is pretty closely linked... ;)

Back
Top Bottom