Is this a scaly leg mites?

How do I treat it
I have looked around and one blog post said not to use petroleum jelly and the other post said to use it

I only have petroleum jelly right now can I use it??
You can use neem oil,olive oil,coconut oil or petroleum jelly to treat their feet and legs. Treat the the coop,nest boxes & roost with permethrin.(oil the roost too!)Treat the chickens with ivermectin. http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/scaly-leg-mites

Hi- if you don’t mind an egg withdrawal period and are comfortable with using a medication, you can use Ivermectin pour-on to get rid of scaly leg mites fairly quickly (blue liquid you can find at Tractor Supply). Drops of the medication are put on the back of the chicken’s neck (on the skin), like you would do if putting flea medication on a cat. Do a search of Ivermectin Pour On dosage on BYC to find specific amounts for your chickens.

Ivermectin will get rid of mites and some internal worms as well. I will be treating my whole flock in a few weeks since I have a few girls showing signs of it. I take them out of their coop one at a time and put the drops on their necks after they go to bed- no chasing or traumatizing. You will treat them twice if you use ivermectin. The initial treatment and then treat them again with the same amount 2 weeks later to catch any eggs that have hatched. It’s very important to do the follow up dose so you don’t end up with resistant mites that recover and no longer respond to the medication. The egg withdrawal period is 30 days. It’s a long time, but it works so well that it’s worth it to me. Your hens should feel better within a week and have flat scales in a month or so.

My first hens had scaly leg mites when I purchased them. I had no idea what it was and felt terrible that I had let it get as bad as it did. They were withdrawn and didn’t move much while others free ranged. I tried using vasoline and dipping their legs in oil to suffocate the mites. I did this for a month, daily, and there was little improvement. The ivermectin worked miraculously- fast and effective- and was easy to apply.

Hi- if you don’t mind an egg withdrawal period and are comfortable with using a medication, you can use Ivermectin pour-on to get rid of scaly leg mites fairly quickly (blue liquid you can find at Tractor Supply). Drops of the medication are put on the back of the chicken’s neck (on the skin), like you would do if putting flea medication on a cat. Do a search of Ivermectin Pour On dosage on BYC to find specific amounts for your chickens.

Ivermectin will get rid of mites and some internal worms as well. I will be treating my whole flock in a few weeks since I have a few girls showing signs of it. I take them out of their coop one at a time and put the drops on their necks after they go to bed- no chasing or traumatizing. You will treat them twice if you use ivermectin. The initial treatment and then treat them again with the same amount 2 weeks later to catch any eggs that have hatched. It’s very important to do the follow up dose so you don’t end up with resistant mites that recover and no longer respond to the medication. The egg withdrawal period is 30 days. It’s a long time, but it works so well that it’s worth it to me. Your hens should feel better within a week and have flat scales in a month or so.

My first hens had scaly leg mites when I purchased them. I had no idea what it was and felt terrible that I had let it get as bad as it did. They were withdrawn and didn’t move much while others free ranged. I tried using vasoline and dipping their legs in oil to suffocate the mites. I did this for a month, daily, and there was little improvement. The ivermectin worked miraculously- fast and effective- and was easy to apply.
How many drops of the ivermectin did you apply to a chicken? Mine have SLM and I want to try it but I am so worrIed about giving too much.

How many drops of the ivermectin did you apply to a chicken? Mine have SLM and I want to try it but I am so worrIed about giving too much.
If you have Ivermectin pour-on that is 5 mg per ml, give 0.1 ml for every 2 pounds of weight. So, a 5 pound chicken would get 0.25 ml of 1/4 ml. Put it on the back of the neck over the spine, and repeat it in 14 days. There are a few brands such as Durvet and this one:
https://jefferspet.vtexassets.com/a...0251100000&width=1200&height=auto&aspect=true

I follow the same measurements as Eggcessive.

I always prep my doses ahead of time. It goes like this:

I have a variety of chickens- some ameracaunas, an easter egger and a Russian Orloff which are pretty lightweight, some heavier birds (Orpington, Australorp) and some medium birds (Welsumers and Sussex). I weigh one chicken from each weight group and calculate the amount of Ivermectin for each hen size. Then I make up a set of syringes (without needles) for each weight group. I put all the syringes for each weight group in separate cups (one with just small hen doses, one for medium and one for large). That way, when I head out to medicate them in the dark, I can just grab the correct dosage based on the hen’s size from the corresponding cup.

Prepping them ahead of time isn’t necessary, but it does make it a lot faster when medicating them and also cuts down on my stress. This way I’ve already pre-measured the dosage so I know I pretty much have it right for every hen before I ever take one out of the coop. Not everybody needs to do this, but I felt like you when I first used Ivermectin and wanted to make it as foolproof and possible. It was worth it to pay a few bucks for enough syringes so that every hen had one. When I’m done, I rinsed them out and pack them away in a ziplock after they dry for the next time.

1661096272471.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom