Is this a vent prolapse? :( graphic

iluvsedward

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 19, 2010
Calvert County MD
My Spitz hen is less than a year old, lays eggs, and this morning when i let them out i noticed a golfball sized bloody mass coming out of her vent. I didnt touch it, but she’s acting very normal and almost unbothered. If its a prolapse what steps should i take? Or is it some sort of tumor?? Ive isolated her and just dont know what to do next. TIA

Attachments

• 0A482CBE-7E4E-485A-BC14-87356291EF16.jpeg
    0A482CBE-7E4E-485A-BC14-87356291EF16.jpeg
    549.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 6C282C55-45E4-4244-BBE5-7F4EAEDD486B.jpeg
    6C282C55-45E4-4244-BBE5-7F4EAEDD486B.jpeg
    529 KB · Views: 16
  • 0D140308-9312-40CD-A19F-447A9566A621.jpeg
    0D140308-9312-40CD-A19F-447A9566A621.jpeg
    523.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 91DC8CB5-BF37-4155-BA85-4F361BF35ED5.jpeg
    91DC8CB5-BF37-4155-BA85-4F361BF35ED5.jpeg
    430.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 7671CA9D-794D-4A30-B0DB-529961996CEA.jpeg
    7671CA9D-794D-4A30-B0DB-529961996CEA.jpeg
    543.5 KB · Views: 14
I read up on prolapse and i think that could be it. Im going to get a basin to gently rinse it off and see if it will go back in without much trouble. Im going to use iodine as an antimicrobial since thats what i have on hand and possibly some petroleum jelly. My hope is that there isnt a poop or egg blockage

It is a prolapse. The bleeding is concerning, she may have been pecked too - hopefully the tissue is not too damaged.

Let us know how it goes with the soak and if you are able to push it in and she retain it.

If the tissue is too swollen to stay inside, then it's very important to keep it moist so it doesn't dry out and become necrotic. You can use honey, prep h, anti-inflammatory cream or whatever you have on hand.
I would also get some calcium into her for a couple of days (Tums or Caltrate) and make sure she's drinking well. Soaking is fine as long as she's not lethargic.

It is a prolapse. The bleeding is concerning, she may have been pecked too - hopefully the tissue is not too damaged.

Let us know how it goes with the soak and if you are able to push it in and she retain it.

If the tissue is too swollen to stay inside, then it's very important to keep it moist so it doesn't dry out and become necrotic. You can use honey, prep h, anti-inflammatory cream or whatever you have on hand.
I would also get some calcium into her for a couple of days (Tums or Caltrate) and make sure she's drinking well. Soaking is fine as long as she's not lethargic.

i can confirm she was pecked a bit but it wasnt bleeding actively.

Graphic warning, dont read if youre squeamish!

Thanks so much everyone. What a bad day. I used warm water and iodine. I was able to get it back in but it was full of waste and came back out. I was hoping the poop would find the right path out, but no luck. She would squat to poop and the mass would pop back out. There was a tear where i could see the poo but it was too thick to come out, and a thin string of tissue blocking it. Finally i decided just to snip the bit of tissue and removed the contents. It just wasnt going to stay in otherwise. Right away the prolapse started to fix itself, but her vent is still slightly prolapsed and we’re not out of the woods yet. My poor hen! I felt awful the whole time, but i know prolapses don’t always have to mean death, so i did everything i could. I have her in a small dog crate covered with a towel and only water. She hasnt pooped yet and i feel so bad for her. I hope tomorrow is better 🙏🏼

i can confirm she was pecked a bit but it wasnt bleeding actively.

Graphic warning, dont read if youre squeamish!

Thanks so much everyone. What a bad day. I used warm water and iodine. I was able to get it back in but it was full of waste and came back out. I was hoping the poop would find the right path out, but no luck. She would squat to poop and the mass would pop back out. There was a tear where i could see the poo but it was too thick to come out, and a thin string of tissue blocking it. Finally i decided just to snip the bit of tissue and removed the contents. It just wasnt going to stay in otherwise. Right away the prolapse started to fix itself, but her vent is still slightly prolapsed and we’re not out of the woods yet. My poor hen! I felt awful the whole time, but i know prolapses don’t always have to mean death, so i did everything i could. I have her in a small dog crate covered with a towel and only water. She hasnt pooped yet and i feel so bad for her. I hope tomorrow is better 🙏🏼
Let us know how she's doing.

If there's still exposed tissue then keep it moist. Vaseline is fine if that's all you have.

Back
Top Bottom