Is this angel wing?

telandra2

Songster
Apr 29, 2021
Spokane, WA
20220806_154039.jpg
20220806_154000.jpg

Is this angel wing? Gosling will be 2 months in a week. Only 1 of 6 showing the problem. Diet is Purina duck pellets, free range, leftover egg shells, and the occasional BSF or salad treat.

If so, it's going to be 100 in a few days so I'm worried about wrapping and heat. Won't the rest of the gaggle (5 Siblings, 5 adults) pick on the wrappings? I'm planning to sell it anyway, so should I just leave it untreated and sell it as a butcher only bird?

Thanks!

View attachment 3214817View attachment 3214818

Is this angel wing? Gosling will be 2 months in a week. Only 1 of 6 showing the problem. Diet is Purina duck pellets, free range, leftover egg shells, and the occasional BSF or salad treat.

If so, it's going to be 100 in a few days so I'm worried about wrapping and heat. Won't the rest of the gaggle (5 Siblings, 5 adults) pick on the wrappings? I'm planning to sell it anyway, so should I just leave it untreated and sell it as a butcher only bird?

Thanks!
I would wrap the wings, if the issue just started it may be possible to correct it still.

I had 2 babies do it this year first time ever caught it early warped them 2 times a day for 4 days. You want to get thous feathers back growing in straight, There were allot of videos on U-tube but I just wrapped the to the bodies. The reason I had to change the vet wrap 2 times a day they were just growing that fast. Make sure the tip part of the wing is folded under. Look at how the one that dose not have the problem tucks its wings in rest. I think you have time to fix it. It dose not come from genetics it comes from growth rates the wing is developing as fast as the feathers are growing,,,

I've got them wrapped. The gosling went limp once captured so it was a lot easier to do than I'd imagined.
Your getting it early fingers crossed at this age there actual wings are still forming so you have time. My 2 boys put up a fuss but after the first day they got used to it they can still do everything except flap there wings... Good Job

Success! After a half-day and a night everyone went for a morning swim so I removed the medical tape. I couldn't spot the angel wing. Will check again in the morning in case a day without support has it rebounding. That was super easy.

All I did was follow the instruction of 'tuck the wing under like how they look when at rest' and wrapped the tape to hold it in place. Then had to wrap again adding a strip up around the shoulder and upper part of the wing because it fell off the first time. No picking from the gosling nor gaggle-mates once secured. No securing sleeve needed.

Equipment and cost: I used the large fishing net I had purchased in case of goose medical emergencies to catch the gosling I think was $30. $1.99 at the local drug store for the medical tape. The 1" worked but up a size would as well. $0 vet bills.

I so happy the 2 boys responded as quickly also I did keep them wrapped for a few extra days. Its funny how fast it happens and corrects. Thank You for keeping us up to date.

Back
Top Bottom