Is this bumblefoot? And of so any advice for treatment

Snostorm

Chirping
Aug 19, 2021
Hi all I've attached a picture of one of our ducks feet, we noticed it looked odd and after a close look saw this. I'd like to know if it looks like bumblefoot? She's a miniature appleyard so about the same size as a wild mallard. It looks like a small one so would bathing her in Epsom salts be ok would there be other stuff we'd need to do?

I'll add in that's she's walking fine, happily stands and sleeps on just that foot with her other one tucked up. Eating and bathing all fine.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• PXL_20220606_143355690.jpg
    PXL_20220606_143355690.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Looks like it.
You may find this thread helpful for treating your Duck.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sores-on-ducks-feet.1523577/#post-25661790
I was just checking online and there's a bit of conflicting info on Ichthammol 20%, is it ok to use on ducks? We've just got vetericyn atm and not sure if it's helping so thought maybe the salve would work better. I also can't find it online anywhere, anyone know anywhere in the UK something similar is available?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002R6UPKU/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_63VFYKWD1Y3XSMYAJ682

Could this work?

Last edited:
Those are still relatively small, so consistent topical treatments may be enough to treat it.
Since it's a duck and water is going to be in the equation, something petroleum based might give it a little more staying power. A triple antibiotic ointment that's petroleum based would work. For drawing many use Prid, don't know if you can get that there. You can also use sugardine(betadine mixed with white sugar) and wrap, that is antibacterial/fungal/viral and will also help. And it's inexpensive and easy to get/make. It will be water soluble so for a duck might be better overnight when it's less active and not in the water.

Those are still relatively small, so consistent topical treatments may be enough to treat it.
Since it's a duck and water is going to be in the equation, something petroleum based might give it a little more staying power. A triple antibiotic ointment that's petroleum based would work. For drawing many use Prid, don't know if you can get that there. You can also use sugardine(betadine mixed with white sugar) and wrap, that is antibacterial/fungal/viral and will also help. And it's inexpensive and easy to get/make. It will be water soluble so for a duck might be better overnight when it's less active and not in the water.
Thanks @coach723 so much for the information, we aren't able to get prid over here unfortunately. But you mentioned a petroleum antibiotic. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XTVMVD7/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_YXTZ2GD65XEREWPMFWJV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I think this might be something that could work? We have that in the house already so if it's a good shout to put in a bandage I can do that straight away.

She's in the house with us currently, she prolapsed earlier in the year and got wet feather due to the stress so she's with us till she moults. So water isn't as big of an issue as we can just limit her bath time. We also have no idea how she got a bumble as we make sure the floor is super clean so who knows.

Sorry to bombard with questions, would you say that drawing salve, vetericyn or the sudocrem would be best to apply to the foot and wrap?

Thanks again. We got our ducks last year and bless her she's had all sorts.

Edit: nevermind just spotted the zinc oxide in the sudocrem so that's a no go, so atm options are the vetericyn or a drawing salve

Last edited:
I don't think the sudocrem would do any harm, but it looks like it's mostly a barrier/protectant. Wouldn't hurt to try. Or do the veterycin, let it dry, and then apply that. Just applying povidone iodine, or decolorized iodine might also be sufficient to get it to heal, if you can get those. It may take some time, sometimes even the small ones take a while to resolve. As long as it's not getting worse, then continue with topicals.
Bumble can start from the tiniest of scrapes, cuts, splinters, or just irritation. It could be from hard landings or just the way she walks. The bacteria is everywhere, even hospitals have issues with it, so it happens. It's pretty hard to prevent it completely.

I don't think the sudocrem would do any harm, but it looks like it's mostly a barrier/protectant. Wouldn't hurt to try. Or do the veterycin, let it dry, and then apply that. Just applying povidone iodine, or decolorized iodine might also be sufficient to get it to heal, if you can get those. It may take some time, sometimes even the small ones take a while to resolve. As long as it's not getting worse, then continue with topicals.
Bumble can start from the tiniest of scrapes, cuts, splinters, or just irritation. It could be from hard landings or just the way she walks. The bacteria is everywhere, even hospitals have issues with it, so it happens. It's pretty hard to prevent it completely.
Ok cheers again, will continue soaking, treating and wrapping it. Hopefully that'll sort it, we're taking pictures of it each day so hopefully if it's getting bigger we can spot it easily and then either try and remove any bumble or take her to a nearby vet

Back
Top Bottom