Is This Fowl Pox?

Kneeknockers

Hatching
Dec 20, 2023
I hate to say it, but I think I have several chickens with fowl pox. Whatever it is it’s spreading. However, I also have a little bantam that I’ve been doctoring for a bad eye injury that got infected. Well now with the fowl pox lesions all around that eye, comb and face, that eye looks horrible. She is for sure blind in that eye. I’ve been doctoring her eye with terramycin twice a day and Doyx-Tyl tabs once a day and Neosporin on the lesions. I don’t know what else to do for her. I would give her Tylosin, but apparently you have to ahave a script from the vet to even order it. What do should I do? Pics of my little roo and the little hen with the blind infected eye. Help!

Attachments

• IMG_3337.jpeg
    IMG_3337.jpeg
    422.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3336.jpeg
    IMG_3336.jpeg
    503.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3335.jpeg
    IMG_3335.jpeg
    481.5 KB · Views: 5
Looks like Fowl Pox to me.
Do you see any lesions inside the beak?

Disturbing the scabs can often make the lesions spread. I would paint or dot Iodine to the lesions on the comb and wattles to try to help dry them up.

Fowl Pox is a virus, so an antibiotic will not be helpful. IF it were to become Wet Pox with lesions inside the beak, an antibiotic may help with secondary infection.

The one with the scabs over the eye, apply a tiny bit of the Terramycin on the scabs, often the eye is still intact and o.k. under those scabs.

I hate to say it, but I think I have several chickens with fowl pox. Whatever it is it’s spreading. However, I also have a little bantam that I’ve been doctoring for a bad eye injury that got infected. Well now with the fowl pox lesions all around that eye, comb and face, that eye looks horrible. She is for sure blind in that eye. I’ve been doctoring her eye with terramycin twice a day and Doyx-Tyl tabs once a day and Neosporin on the lesions. I don’t know what else to do for her. I would give her Tylosin, but apparently you have to ahave a script from the vet to even order it. What do should I do? Pics of my little roo and the little hen with the blind infected eye. Help!

It's definitely fowl pox. Iodine will help shrink the scabs, avoid the eyes as mentioned by Wyorp Rock.
Fowl pox is mainly caused by mosquitos. It will slowly pass through your flock and should go away in about 6-8 weeks. Your birds will be immune to that particular strain thereafter. Eggs are safe to eat.

Back
Top Bottom