Is this humidity good for incubating eggs

maypuls

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 14, 2010
Conroe,Tx
We'll I'm new at incubating and I have my temp at 99.9 and humidity at 58% is that ok to start incubating or should I lower my humidity a bit?

You can and often will get answers all over the map about best humidity levels. This is because the best humidity can vary quite a lot depending on your climate, altitude, and where your eggs came from.

Here in Florida in winter when the heat is on in the house I keep my humidity at 50% because the air is pretty dry. If I were to hatch during the summer rainy season (say June, July, August) I'd keep it to 40% or less because the air is very humid. Unless you are at high altitude in an arid region 58% is too high in my opinion. I'd bring it down to between 40-45%.

Try the incubators anonymous thread. It has a ton of information from people who hatch all the time and for years. You can get their opinions about incubating and humidity levels based on where you live. Most on there suggest a dry incubation for first 18 days then raise the humidity level to 65%.

I have learned a lot from that thread and I live outside Montgomery, Texas and have learned that if I have a question to just post on the thread and the experts are more than willing to help you out. As they say "there are no dumb questions" just ask.

I have been told by breeders whose eggs I have bought to keep it a little dry (30-35%) the first 18 days, then raise it to 60-65% the last 3 days. When I used higher, my chicks grew too fast and big for the shell and died.

Back
Top Bottom