Is this normal?

schmoo

Songster
12 Years
May 7, 2007
West MI.
My Roo has just begun his "roo dance" with the ladies. I realized it was going to look grusome but whew I had no idea. Yesterday was the first time I saw it and I wasn't expecting it. I actually yelled "ROO get off her"
lol.png
As if I thought he would. I was on the other side of the fence so I couldn't grab him or anthing. I don't want him doing it when I'm there because of things I've read on here. Alpha Roo thing etc.

My question is.....I knew he was going to grab their feathers to hold on, but I saw him grab ones waddle and hold her down that way. I thought it was bleeding and went in the fence to check her, but it seemed more like a blood blister- not bleeding. Sheesh
hmm.png

Totally normal. I catch my BO roo in the act AT LEAST 4 times a day! And that's after I get home from work!!! He grabs onto the girls combs and climbs on, does his business, then usually starts running after one of the other girls.

I actually think I need to add more hens to the flock because the BO roo won't let the OEGB roo anywhere near the girls...

Thanks all. I guess I'll just have to keep my eye on their combs for wounds. My Roo outta be happy he has 21 ladies all to himself.
wink.png

When cockrels are still learning which end it goes in, it's not uncommon for them to grab waddles, combs, feathers and beaks. Eventually they get it worked out and it will become less a Greco-Roman wrestling match. You'll also notice once the hens realize what's going on that they'll actually stop and present themselves which makes things a lot quicker.

Our hens are getting used to the "roo thang" and most of them will let him jump on now. It's seemed much more aggressive in the beginning. He'll still chase one down every now and then but when he finally gets hold it's over quickly.

edited for grammar

Last edited:
Roos can get pretty aggressive with the ladies...especially when they are learning. My BSL comb is messed up from the Phoenix when he was young. He's much "gentler" now and only grabs their neck feathers.
roll.png

Our roo cut up the wattle near one of our BO's ears the other day. It didn't look good so I put some neosporin on it. He's really rough. The only hen that will lay down for him is the one that's laying eggs (4 so far!).
The others aren't laying yet, or laying down with the roo. So I guess I have a while before we get more eggs from the other peeps.

Also, he's a Silkie roo. He takes 'Ride 'em Cowboy' too seriously and is currently only polishing Daisy Mae's back. Will he ever fertilize an egg, or is he built wrong for it?

When our roo started cleaning feathers from the backs of the ladies we started rounding off the tips of his spurs with a heavy grit emery board. No more scratches/bruises on sides/no more bare backs (still gets a few feathers from their heads, never has wounded any combs or wattles). Spurs are now in need of being twisted off - over two inches, but the tips are rounded off and harmless to the ladies, though he can still deliver a telling blow through mud boots.

Back
Top Bottom