Is this normal?

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
My flock and my neighbors flock will sometimes all mingle together either in her yard or ours.

Never once had they gotten into a fight and they love foraging together. We have a lot of bugs here too. So many bugs, their feed ends up in the compost pile after a while.

My flock won't go inside their coop, but I've seen their flock inside mine. Neither of us mind, but i find it quite odd since i thought chickens were territorial. We both have had our flocks for a few years. I add new ones every year and they add new chicks every 2 years.

They are living animals. Each chicken has its own personality and each flock has its own dynamics. No one can tell you for sure what they will do. Also there is sometimes a big difference in what might possibly happen and what will absolutely for sure 100% happen each and every time.

Those chickens think they are one flock that just happens to roost in different places. It’s not at all unusual with a flock that all sleep together for some to form sub-flocks during the day and roam by themselves quite a bit of the time but occasionally mingling, even if there is only one rooster. It happens all the time.

Chickens can sometimes possibly be territorial. Sometimes. But once they get used to the other chickens, that phase is passed.

They have determined the pecking order between themselves. That can be violent but it can go so smoothly you don’t even notice. It sounds like that rooster is a good flock master. A good dominant rooster will keep peace in his flock, breaking up fights and just keep things running smoothly.

To me, what you are describing doesn’t sound unusual at all.

It is nice that your coop is their choice over the neighbors. You get all the eggs!!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom