Is this really a Buff Orp?

Lol, should probably quit chick shopping at TSC then.
Especially if you were wanting a broody. That chick may just be a male.
I hear you. I hatched my own and it was a poor hatch rate. My breeder won’t have chicks for 3 weeks…against my better judgement I went to TSC bc they had ‘BO’
Thanks for your help

I agree with everyone else, definitely not a BO. I just saw another post, I'm not sure if I can find it again but I think it was in the "general breed discussions", someone posted chicks that looked very similar to yours and a few people commented and said they looked like buff brahmas. It's just a suggestion of a possible breed your chick is.

I also agree with everyone else about TSC. I got some chicks from there, they had silver laced wyandottes listed as barred rocks and tried telling me they were forsure barred rocks. I have a chick that I'm still not 100% sure what she is. Then another chick that was supposed to be an onyx pearl and I'm 99% sure is a smokey pearl (there is some differences between the two and my oldest specifically picked out the onyx pearl because of the differences). I know I will never go back to TSC for chicks. I have a local Bomgaars and they are so much better for getting chicks from and they don't mix their chicks together so less of a chance for a mixup.

Ever get the impression that TSC literally just gets suspect males or the leftovers of all the special orders then labeled as whatever they think will sell?! I agree; not a Buff Orpington but I hope you get something good!

I will say my Buff Orpingtons from Hoover's, that normally supplies TSC in my region, gave me 3/9 broodies although only one of them does it with regularity. But I ordered direct and paid for pullets up front; no straight run and no TSC mixups!

someone posted chicks that looked very similar to yours and a few people commented and said they looked like buff brahmas. It's just a suggestion of a possible breed your chick is.
Not a Brahma. Wrong comb type and clean legged. And definitely not the buff variety, as we already concluded that the chick is not buff but likely some mixed color.

Ever get the impression that TSC literally just gets suspect males or the leftovers of all the special orders then labeled as whatever they think will sell?! I agree; not a Buff Orpington but I hope you get something good!

I will say my Buff Orpingtons from Hoover's, that normally supplies TSC in my region, gave me 3/9 broodies although only one of them does it with regularity. But I ordered direct and paid for pullets up front; no straight run and no TSC mixups!
that’s not good odds. I’m trying to contact a few local farms but there only one NPIP certified and she doesn’t have chicks atm

I agree with everyone else, definitely not a BO. I just saw another post, I'm not sure if I can find it again but I think it was in the "general breed discussions", someone posted chicks that looked very similar to yours and a few people commented and said they looked like buff brahmas. It's just a suggestion of a possible breed your chick is.

I also agree with everyone else about TSC. I got some chicks from there, they had silver laced wyandottes listed as barred rocks and tried telling me they were forsure barred rocks. I have a chick that I'm still not 100% sure what she is. Then another chick that was supposed to be an onyx pearl and I'm 99% sure is a smokey pearl (there is some differences between the two and my oldest specifically picked out the onyx pearl because of the differences). I know I will never go back to TSC for chicks. I have a local Bomgaars and they are so much better for getting chicks from and they don't mix their chicks together so less of a chance for a mixup.
Whoever received these chicks for TSC sorted them by COLOR! :he

I bought 3 ‘BO’ from TSC. All the chick bins were mixed up as usual.
Chicks are about 5 days old.
I thought BO was yellow so what’s with the head and wings? What breed is it if not BO?
Clean legged.
That seriously looks like one of the chicks I just got that was labeled as a Starlight Green Eggers, but they were mixed in with Calico Princess. If you get green eggs, I guess you'll know!

Attachments

• 20240403_095755.jpg
    20240403_095755.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 3
That seriously looks like one of the chicks I just got that was labeled as a Starlight Green Eggers, but they were mixed in with Calico Princess. If you get green eggs, I guess you'll know!
Thx- The straight comb, no beard, and yellow legs is throwing off the ID. It’s a mystery mix.

Back
Top Bottom