It's time for Nicalandia to create his own breed of Chickens

Should Nicalandia create this new breed?

• Yes, he should do it.

Votes: 48 84.2%
  • No, it's a waste of time and resources.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • I don't know, but I am watching this thread

Votes: 13 22.8%

• Total voters
Pics

nicalandia

Free Ranging
14 Years
Jul 16, 2009
Stuck In a Dream
My Coop
My Coop
Often times we see that many enthusiastic posters would love to create their own cool looking or very unique chicken breed, they would like to add features of many breeds into their own. This is very cool and it will teach them a lot about chickens and a lot about themselves(as in perhaps you are not as patient or dedicated as you thought you were), it's truly a learning experience. Well guys it's my time to do that.

The truth is that I am not creating a new breed as it's pretty ancient, but not found on this side of the world(the Western Hemisphere). Also in Indonesia they are just F1 hybrids, they do not pursue a self breeding breed because they are only interested on how the F1 roosters Crow. The F2s and F3s lose the distinctive crow of the F1 hybrid rooster, the F2 and subsequent progeny males crow like regular domestic roosters.

The name on Indonesia is Ayam Bekicem(Bekisar Cemani), they are the result of the breeding of a male Green Junglefow with a Cemani hen, they looks spectacular.

Green Junglefow(Gallus various) also called Ayam Hutan Hijau in Indonesia
1639592240116.png

+

Ayam Cemani Hens

1639592300235.png

Ayam Bekicem

1639592372093.png

1639592387902.png

1639592420168.png

1639597798155.png

This one seems to have a pea comb, which is very interesting as well(Clearly not Cemani Heritage but melanistic itself)
1639595127537.png

My biggest hurdle will be getting a Green Junglefowl male, other than that the breeding program is pretty straight forward.

@MysteryChicken
@The Moonshiner
@Florida Bullfrog
@Chikyboy
@TundraFang
@Alex_Zurago

Last edited:
Often times we see that many enthusiastic posters would love to create their own cool looking or very unique chicken breed, they would like to add features of many breeds into their own. This is very cool and it will teach them a lot about chickens and a lot about themselves(as in perhaps you are not as patient or dedicated as you thought you were), it's truly a learning experience. Well guys it's my time to do that.

The truth is that I am not creating a new breed as it's pretty ancient, but not found on this side of the world(the Western Hemisphere). Also in Indonesia they are just F1 hybrids, they do not pursue a self breeding breed because they are only interested on how the F1 roosters Crow. The F2s and F3s lose the distinctive crow of the F1 hybrid rooster, the F2 and subsequent progeny males crow like regular domestic roosters.

The name on Indonesia is Ayam Bekicem(Bekisar Cemani), they are the result of the breeding of a male Green Junglefow with a Cemani hen, they looks spectacular.

Green Junglefow(Gallus various) also called Ayam Hutan Hijau in Indonesia
View attachment 2930085

+

Ayam Cemani Hens

View attachment 2930086

Ayam Bekicem

View attachment 2930089

View attachment 2930090

View attachment 2930093

My biggest hurdle will be getting a Green Junglefowl male, other than that the breeding program is pretty straight forward.

@MysteryChicken
@The Moonshiner
@Florida Bullfrog
@Chikyboy
@TundraFang
@Alex_Zurago
Super cool! I don’t know anything about chicken breeding, but I love green jungle fowl!

Lovely. I've always wanted to try and breed the green junglefowl, but obviously those aren't exactly everywhere here
They are not exactly Everywhere anywhere except in Indonesia, the ones in Mexico I have seen are very weak, but heck I would pay top dollar for a weak male in breeding shape even if it's to be used once, I am not about saving the species(that endeavor is bigger than any solo individual, it takes a dedicated team of breeders with many resources) I just need their unique genetics like colorful dewlap, their iridescence feathers(not found on other jungle fowl) and that's about it. I will stop at F1 and continue to breed to F1s. heck I don't even need a Cemani, just a Self Black, melanistic breed

Last edited:
No, I know. I was attempting a bit of humor when I said that. I've had hard enough times finding normal breeds here, obviously this would be even harder.
They are not exactly Everywhere anywhere except in Indonesia, the ones in Mexico I have seen are very weak, but heck I would pay top dollar for a weak male in breeding shape even if it's to be used once, I am not about saving the breed, just need their unique genetics like colorful dewlap, iridescence(not found on other jungle fowl) and that's about it. I will stop at F1 and continue to breed to F1s.

The thing about experimenting with breeding chickens is you can always eat the failures! I see little downside to trying to make your own breed. If previous generations of domestic animal keepers hadn’t been creative, we wouldn’t have the great selection of domestic breeds we have today.

I know next to nothing about green junglefowl. Are they as finicky as pure red junglefowl? I would hesitate to invest in one if they are expensive and not hardy. But if hardy and if you’d enjoy having one, go for it.

The Good thing about experimenting with breeding chickens is you can always eat the failures! I see little downside to trying to make your own breed. If previous generations of domestic animal keepers hadn’t been creative, we wouldn’t have the great selection of domestic breeds we have today.

I know next to nothing about green junglefowl. Are they as finicky as pure red junglefowl? I would hesitate to invest in one if they are expensive and not hardy. But if hardy and if you’d enjoy having one, go for it.

Fixed for you.

In the USA and in Mexico they seem to be suffering from endogamy and they are very hard to breed(pure lines), but in Indonesia they are very vigorous and breed in small enclosures, they are kept like fighting gamefowl. they don't require special or big Aviary. I suspect this is because their breeding lines are often replenished with wild ones and also some of them are simply not pure Gallus various(you can't tell the difference when you get to 87.5% and Up) and have small domestic chicken blood in them.

Fixed for you.

In the USA and in Mexico they seem to be suffering from endogamy and they are very hard to breed(pure lines), but in Indonesia they are very vigorous and breed in small enclosures, they are kept like fighting gamefowl. they don't require special or big Aviary. I suspect this is because their breeding lines are often replenished with wild ones and also some of them are simply not pure Gallus various(you can't tell the difference when you get to 87.5% and Up) and have small domestic chicken blood in them.
They look great! Wishing you the best of luck!

Hey, if someone from the USA is willing to do this, I can help them with the genetics no problem, but I would appreciate that once we get stable breeding program if they could save me a young pair and I will pay the transport to Nicaragua.

This male clearly has a pea comb and it looks quite nice, the white earlobes extend to the dewlap(cemanis don't have white earlobes, so the dewlap is mostly black), Fibromelanotic will turn that earlobe/dewlap to a beautiful turquoise color. How about a Blue egg laying Ayam Bekisar?

1639597198269.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom