Itty Bitty Birds Nest

Imp

All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle
11 Years
Sep 7, 2008
The Emerald City
My Coop
My Coop
I was outside today cleaning up the storm debris. I decided to clean out the 5 birdhouses I have in the back yard.
1 was empty
1 had the start of a nest
1 had a nest
1 had 2 nests, one on top of the other, the top one had a petrified bird in it.
and the last one, the smallest, had this in it. I have no idea why they didn't hatch. It's seems to be made of moss and cat hair.
The other nests were twigs and chicken feathers.

Imp

I did some research. It's a Black Capped Chickadee nest. I don't know what the others are.

Imp

Aww, what tiny little eggs....such hard work they did......sounds like your nests are gonna be full come spring, though.
jumpy.gif

I was thinking Chickadee when I saw the moss. We often have Chickadees nesting in boxes that were set up for Bluebirds. Many, many (too many!!) years ago, when I was a kid, I remember a Chickadee landing only a couple of feet away from me to gather moss for the nest it was building; I was amazed that something so tiny could be unperturbed by something as big as a human. They are amazing little birds! Hopefully they will be successful this year.

As I was reading along, I was all excited that I could tell you that I thought it was a chickadee. You found out on your own, and Bunnylady beat me to the punch anyway.
sad.png
For the past two years a pair has nested in one of my blue bird boxes - base of the nest is moss which is covered by soft and fluffy golden retriever hair.
lol.png

Thanks for the reminder. It's time for me to clean mine out.

My guess on why they didn't hatch is that something fatal happened to the parent. I sometimes find unhatched eggs or even a dead baby in bird nests.

My guess on why they didn't hatch is that something fatal happened to the parent.
My thought too, but I wasn't going to say it.
hide.gif

One time, I left cleaning out my bird boxes until a bit too late, and found a flying squirrel family in one! Momma and 5 little babies; she took off when I opened the box. I was horrified, but some quick research assured me that flying squirrels are pretty tolerant of people. I put things back the way I had found them, and watched from a distance until I saw the mother return to her nest. What a relief!

I have lots of Black Capped Chickadees in the yard, but I thought I'd seen them in the other boxes, so i assumed that those other nests were from them. Thought that this nest was from the tiny Bushtits. I found out that The Bushtits make hanging (pendulous) nests. I've found several of those as well, but only one that was salvagable. It's in the shed. So I identified two nests last night. I wasn't able to ID the other nests, will have to pay attention to the birds this year.
My winter project this year is to build a 10 room bird condo. If I get it done I'll post pics.

Imp

Squirrels would be kind of exciting.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom